Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Motherboard very loud pop[Burning smell but will boot]

Last response: in Motherboards
January 10, 2012 5:46:05 PM

Hi all, a few months ago I went to power my pc on and it made a very loud bang noise, followed by another and another until I turned the power off to my tower. I smelled burning silicon or something of the sort so I left the computer alone until I could fund replacement parts.

Recently I bought a new mobo and installed it. Powered on and POP again, with the burning smell. I moved my 460GTX to the second PCI-E slot and it pop'd once but then booted and I am up and running again now. My question is, my computer is very sluggish now and seems to take quite a while to react. I have a fresh OS installed and only 2 games. With hardly anything else running. Any ideas? Could the pop maybe damage something critical to good performance?
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
January 10, 2012 6:13:54 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

Chances are you have a bad PSU ... and now more bad parts (again).

IMO replace you PSU with a good e.g. Corsair or SeaSonic - Japanese capacitors, and voltage protection.
Score
January 10, 2012 6:15:23 PM

jaquith said:
Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

Chances are you have a bad PSU ... and now more bad parts (again).

IMO replace you PSU with a good e.g. Corsair or SeaSonic - Japanese capacitors, and voltage protection.

Bah great.. I just started college too. Would it hurt it more to keep running? I know there must be a possibility of more damage but how much?
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
January 10, 2012 6:44:55 PM

How much damage ... hmm ... ruined GPU(s), MOBO, RAM, CPU or anything it's (PSU) attached to or powering.

IMO - most PSU's and components, exceptions sure, have 3 year warranties and often PSU's come with a 5 year warranty. Contact the OEM manufacturer for an 'RMA' request (exchange). If it's a need to know now then go to the local store (e.g. Best Buy see if there's an 'Open Box', bring it to your (dorm) and try it. If it corrects the problem then you'll know and can either return the Open Box and RMA the bad PSU or keep it.

From what you've described it 'seems' to be the PSU, it could be the MOBO. Again, WARRANTIES ;) 
January 10, 2012 6:56:19 PM

Best answer selected by Slansing.
Score
January 10, 2012 6:58:11 PM

Thank you for the replies. I already had a fiasco with Newegg sending me a damaged MOBO then refusing to RMA it. And the manufacturer "Asus" wont either. The PSU is a Thermaltake 850w Ive had for a few years not sure if its under warranty but I guess Ill try. In my experience the OEM manufacturers don't like to accept RMAs for products already used.
Score
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
January 10, 2012 7:06:37 PM

RMA is a generic term, NewEgg exchanges. RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) or Warranty Exchange.

ASUS rarely rejects unless there's obvious 'abuse'. A blown MOSFET or capacitor is not a valid reject.

My only issues with ASUS is the frigging telephone hold times and the time it takes to get a replacement - turn around. Gigabyte, MSI and most others same slow thing. About the best of them is EVGA which are great.
Score
January 10, 2012 7:24:58 PM

There is also a possibility that the components are still good. You might want to check them out after getting a new PSU. The smell is most likely coming from the PSU.

Get a good PSU, and hook everything up and see if it still works.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2012 1:02:12 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!