New Build FAIL

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Shutdown
  • New Build
  • Components
Last response: in Components
May 7, 2011 10:07:02 PM

I just put together a new build with a crappy no-name-madeinchina "650w" [put weighed a feather] psu today. The system turned on, a few seconds later, shut down. Then on. Then off. and so on...

I thought it was hockey puck psu but when I swapped it out with an Ultra 650w the same thing happened.

Please tell me this is not my mobo, if it was my mobo then I guess it was DOA . :o 

I even tried putting the memory in different slots to see if that helped and it didn't.

More about : build fail

a b ) Power supply
May 7, 2011 10:39:24 PM

Make sure to try a hard CMOS clear removing the battery and shorting w/ the jumper.
m
l
May 7, 2011 10:47:16 PM

Tried it, didn't work.
m
l
Related resources
May 7, 2011 11:00:24 PM

luckyniji13 said:
I just put together a new build with a crappy no-name-madeinchina "650w" [put weighed a feather] psu today. The system turned on, a few seconds later, shut down. Then on. Then off. and so on...

I thought it was hockey puck psu but when I swapped it out with an Ultra 650w the same thing happened.

Please tell me this is not my mobo, if it was my mobo then I guess it was DOA . :o 

I even tried putting the memory in different slots to see if that helped and it didn't.

Here is something I ran into on my P8P67 DELUXE mobo, when you set the bios to Overclock it will reboot it's self 3 or more times. So let it reboot a few times and see what happens
m
l
May 7, 2011 11:05:31 PM

Thanks but this is a new build, nothing is set to OC. Brand new parts fresh out of static bags today. I did let it reboot for about 10 minutes and nothing fixed.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2011 12:25:37 AM

^agreed, do some basic troubleshooting with test-bench bare minimum setup before you proceed. any single component can cause issues like this, although your right i would most likely suspect motherboard.
m
l
May 8, 2011 2:03:58 AM

Troubleshot - thinking it is the motherboard, time to turn to the warranty. Thinking vulgar words toward this model right now, I've read reviews of people getting this one DOA. or as I like to say DAMNED.

It isn't possible to ruin a processor by putting it in a bad mobo... is it?

...where did I put that beer down..?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2011 2:06:26 AM

Sure, it is possible. Let's hope it didn't though.

Did you buy the motherboard recently, and where from? Normally for DOA you return to the retailer (which is usually quicker than the manufacturer warranty).
m
l
May 8, 2011 2:22:18 AM

Less than 2 months old, from Tiger Direct.

If say my precious i5 2500k was doomed couldn't I just demand a warranty coverage for that too? It is all MSI's fault, not mine..

[a few more beers]
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2011 2:29:34 AM

Probably, but there is a decent chance that the Processor is ok.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 9, 2011 1:31:05 AM

ive only seen a couple failed processors in my time, they were celeron D's with shorts that shut down the psu.
m
l
May 19, 2011 12:18:50 AM

Best answer selected by luckyniji13.
m
l