Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build FAIL

Last response: in Components
May 7, 2011 10:07:02 PM

I just put together a new build with a crappy no-name-madeinchina "650w" [put weighed a feather] psu today. The system turned on, a few seconds later, shut down. Then on. Then off. and so on...

I thought it was hockey puck psu but when I swapped it out with an Ultra 650w the same thing happened.

Please tell me this is not my mobo, if it was my mobo then I guess it was DOA . :o 

I even tried putting the memory in different slots to see if that helped and it didn't.

More about : build fail

a b ) Power supply
May 7, 2011 10:39:24 PM

Make sure to try a hard CMOS clear removing the battery and shorting w/ the jumper.
May 7, 2011 10:47:16 PM

Tried it, didn't work.
Related resources
May 7, 2011 11:00:24 PM

luckyniji13 said:
I just put together a new build with a crappy no-name-madeinchina "650w" [put weighed a feather] psu today. The system turned on, a few seconds later, shut down. Then on. Then off. and so on...

I thought it was hockey puck psu but when I swapped it out with an Ultra 650w the same thing happened.

Please tell me this is not my mobo, if it was my mobo then I guess it was DOA . :o 

I even tried putting the memory in different slots to see if that helped and it didn't.

Here is something I ran into on my P8P67 DELUXE mobo, when you set the bios to Overclock it will reboot it's self 3 or more times. So let it reboot a few times and see what happens
May 7, 2011 11:05:31 PM

Thanks but this is a new build, nothing is set to OC. Brand new parts fresh out of static bags today. I did let it reboot for about 10 minutes and nothing fixed.

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2011 12:17:40 AM

While a lot in this list won't apply, I'd recommend running through as much of it as possible as preliminary troubleshooting: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2011 12:25:37 AM

^agreed, do some basic troubleshooting with test-bench bare minimum setup before you proceed. any single component can cause issues like this, although your right i would most likely suspect motherboard.
May 8, 2011 2:03:58 AM

Troubleshot - thinking it is the motherboard, time to turn to the warranty. Thinking vulgar words toward this model right now, I've read reviews of people getting this one DOA. or as I like to say DAMNED.

It isn't possible to ruin a processor by putting it in a bad mobo... is it?

...where did I put that beer down..?
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2011 2:06:26 AM

Sure, it is possible. Let's hope it didn't though.

Did you buy the motherboard recently, and where from? Normally for DOA you return to the retailer (which is usually quicker than the manufacturer warranty).
May 8, 2011 2:22:18 AM

Less than 2 months old, from Tiger Direct.

If say my precious i5 2500k was doomed couldn't I just demand a warranty coverage for that too? It is all MSI's fault, not mine..

[a few more beers]
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2011 2:29:34 AM

Probably, but there is a decent chance that the Processor is ok.
a b ) Power supply
May 9, 2011 1:31:05 AM

ive only seen a couple failed processors in my time, they were celeron D's with shorts that shut down the psu.
May 19, 2011 12:18:50 AM

Best answer selected by luckyniji13.
!