Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Google pushing Picasa - reviews?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 1:14:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

What is the story on this image sorting
software? Does it do anything other programs
don't, and are there any privacy concerns
regarding it?
February 1, 2005 1:59:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Mitchell Holman wrote:

> What is the story on this image sorting
> software? Does it do anything other programs
> don't, and are there any privacy concerns
> regarding it?

It's pretty darn user friendly. I haven't heard any compaints. As far as
actual 'image sorting', ACDsee is the only one I've seen that allows
drag & drop re-ordering and batch renaming to make that permanent.
Picassa is ideal for folks who have pics all over & don't remember where.

I think picassa is pretty good. Not high-end but very usable. I'm a bit
confused by the chronilogical presentation that obliterates my normal
file structure but it's pleasant and all.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 5:47:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I use it for quickly browsing through my image collection quickly.
It's great for picking out photos for printing / uploading to the web
etc. Sure there are others out there which are probably much better,
but Picasa is free! The 2nd version adds some nice improvements too.

And no, I don't believe that there are any privacy concerns.

Jules
http://www.shuttertalk.com


Mitchell Holman wrote:
> What is the story on this image sorting
> software? Does it do anything other programs
> don't, and are there any privacy concerns
> regarding it?
Related resources
February 1, 2005 10:59:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

You know, it actually does a decent job of browsing and exporting NEF
(RAW) files to jpeg.

Julian Tan wrote:
> I use it for quickly browsing through my image collection quickly.
> It's great for picking out photos for printing / uploading to the web
> etc. Sure there are others out there which are probably much better,
> but Picasa is free! The 2nd version adds some nice improvements too.
>
> And no, I don't believe that there are any privacy concerns.
>
> Jules
> http://www.shuttertalk.com
>
>
> Mitchell Holman wrote:
>
>>What is the story on this image sorting
>>software? Does it do anything other programs
>>don't, and are there any privacy concerns
>>regarding it?
>
>
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 11:35:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"paul" <paul@not.net> wrote in message
news:hYSdnR_PFbxYtWLcRVn-tQ@speakeasy.net...
> Mitchell Holman wrote:
>
>> What is the story on this image sorting
>> software? Does it do anything other programs
>> don't, and are there any privacy concerns
>> regarding it?
>
> It's pretty darn user friendly. I haven't heard any compaints. As far as
> actual 'image sorting', ACDsee is the only one I've seen that allows drag
> & drop re-ordering and batch renaming to make that permanent. Picassa is
> ideal for folks who have pics all over & don't remember where.
>
> I think picassa is pretty good. Not high-end but very usable. I'm a bit
> confused by the chronilogical presentation that obliterates my normal file
> structure but it's pleasant and all.

I agree, together with the fact that it dosent change original images by
rotation etc.. merely records how you like to see that picture and shows it
to you that way.

V. nice piece of gear.

John Mares
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:57:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <hYSdnR_PFbxYtWLcRVn-tQ@speakeasy.net>, paul@not.net (paul)
wrote:

> I'm a bit confused by the chronilogical presentation

For a few moments I thought "what a strange way to do it". But then
something clicked and I realised I was looking into the past in a way
which made so much sense. I wouldn't want to display my pictures any other
way now. It's easy to zero in on what I'm looking for simply by
remembering roughly when I took the pics rather than where I stashed them!

Browsing is also very pleasurable, and I'm a big fan of the limited but
very capable editing functions. It's all the home dabbler needs really.

FWIW I do have my important pics archived, but with HD space so cheap
these days it's surprising how much stuff is hiding in obscure corners of
the HD. Which can be good and bad. Picasa finds *everything* on your PC...
even the stuff you might have forgotten you had in a deep dark corner. Er,
yes, sorry love... I er... <thwack>.

Andrew McP
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:52:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 07:59:12 -0800, paul <paul@not.net> wrote:

>You know, it actually does a decent job of browsing and exporting NEF
>(RAW) files to jpeg.
>
>Julian Tan wrote:
>> I use it for quickly browsing through my image collection quickly.
>> It's great for picking out photos for printing / uploading to the web
>> etc. Sure there are others out there which are probably much better,
>> but Picasa is free! The 2nd version adds some nice improvements too.

... but why does Picasa insist on connecting to the internet every time
it is started up ? .. tad of spyware ? .. :-)
February 2, 2005 12:57:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

imbsysop wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 07:59:12 -0800, paul <paul@not.net> wrote:
>
>>
>>Julian Tan wrote:
>>
>>>I use it for quickly browsing through my image collection quickly.
>>>It's great for picking out photos for printing / uploading to the web
>>>etc. Sure there are others out there which are probably much better,
>>>but Picasa is free! The 2nd version adds some nice improvements too.
>
>
>>You know, it actually does a decent job of browsing and exporting NEF
>>(RAW) files to jpeg.
>
> .. but why does Picasa insist on connecting to the internet every time
> it is started up ? .. tad of spyware ? .. :-)


I think it is checking for updates. You can turn that option off.

Also I retact my claim that it converts RAW files nicely. It does it
easily but misses white balance info & is much worse than the PS plugin.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:10:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I have enjoyed my day long adventure. It is a very usable program. I
would surely recommend it to someone who does not use file naming
conventions and folder structure. The chronological format is
acctually the easiest way to view images from a memories kind of
prespective.

I give this a 8/10 for family photo sorting.
In my opinion Stick with ACDsee for the pros :) 
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:46:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

dragko@gmail.com wrote:
> I have enjoyed my day long adventure. It is a very usable program. I
> would surely recommend it to someone who does not use file naming
> conventions and folder structure. The chronological format is
> acctually the easiest way to view images from a memories kind of
> prespective.
>
> I give this a 8/10 for family photo sorting.
> In my opinion Stick with ACDsee for the pros :) 

I have a couple less-than-perfect experiences:

When it catalogs raw images for the first time, it stumbles and creates
a corrupted or partial thumbnail. Clicking that sometimes results in a
partial or corrupted full-size display, always corrected by leaving and
returning (within Picasa). The thumbnails are apparently permanent if
the file is not moved or deleted and returned for a subsequent
inventory. No amount of "Refresh Thumbnails" has any effect.

After a half-dozen raw viewings, it sometimes stops displaying images.
They flash on the screen and disappear. The ruddy program acts as if
they are visible, offering all controls, but no view of the file.
Leaving the folder/directory and returning sometimes returns the viewing
facility, sometimes not; sometimes the recovered facility remains for
the session, sometimes lasts for just another half-dozen views. The
facility always returns after closing and reopening the program.

Vanilla P4 3.2 1 Gig


I'd like to know if anyone has the secret to pressuring the program into
cataloging a new folder at the operator's behest. I have so many images
it's often a long wait until the new images are accessible.


How long have I used Picasa? Since it was offered. How much has it
insinuated itself into my list of frequently-used programs? Completely.



--
Frank ess
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 2:27:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Yeah I have experienced a similar problem with a couple of JPG's
acctually. The thumb is only half drawn with some ugly garbage near
the bottom. I thought it might be a compression coruption. But if it
happens in RAW format as well it is most likely software. I wonder if
there is any support on this issue,or at least a known cause.

But overall you must agree it is usable and for free software well
above par.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 6:02:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

-=Rob wrote:

>> .. but why does Picasa insist on connecting to the internet every
time
>> it is started up ? .. tad of spyware ? .. :-)
>
> NOPE, Picasa is looking for updates while stating up !
> You can switch it off : Tools > Options > General TAB
>
> First do some digging into a new program before posting..............

Go ahead and believe it is "checking for updates", but a program that
connects to the 'net without prior user approval is arguably "spyware".
February 2, 2005 10:34:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Mitchell Holman wrote:
> What is the story on this image sorting
> software? Does it do anything other programs
> don't, and are there any privacy concerns
> regarding it?
>

I just tried this....is there no way to get a
hierarchical structure on the left-side pane?
If not, it is limiting like Photoshop Album.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 1:56:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

imbsysop schreef:
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 07:59:12 -0800, paul <paul@not.net> wrote:
>
>
>>You know, it actually does a decent job of browsing and exporting NEF
>>(RAW) files to jpeg.
>>
>>Julian Tan wrote:
>>
>>>I use it for quickly browsing through my image collection quickly.
>>>It's great for picking out photos for printing / uploading to the web
>>>etc. Sure there are others out there which are probably much better,
>>>but Picasa is free! The 2nd version adds some nice improvements too.
>
>
> .. but why does Picasa insist on connecting to the internet every time
> it is started up ? .. tad of spyware ? .. :-)
>


NOPE, Picasa is looking for updates while stating up !
You can switch it off : Tools > Options > General TAB

First do some digging into a new program before posting...............

-=Rob.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:37:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

-=Rob wrote:

> You can switch the option off very easily, so what is the problem
then?

The option shouldn't exist, or, if it should, should not be "on" by
default.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 4:53:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

eawckyegcy@yahoo.com wrote:
> -=Rob wrote:
>
>
>>You can switch the option off very easily, so what is the problem
>
> then?
>
> The option shouldn't exist, or, if it should, should not be "on" by
> default.
>
I would agree it should default to off, but saying it shouldn't be there
is a bit of a stretch. Why shouldn't a program check for updates?


--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 8:17:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

eawckyegcy@yahoo.com schreef:
> -=Rob wrote:
>
>
>>>.. but why does Picasa insist on connecting to the internet every
>
> time
>
>>>it is started up ? .. tad of spyware ? .. :-)
>>
>>NOPE, Picasa is looking for updates while stating up !
>>You can switch it off : Tools > Options > General TAB
>>
>>First do some digging into a new program before posting..............
>
>
> Go ahead and believe it is "checking for updates", but a program that
> connects to the 'net without prior user approval is arguably "spyware".
>
There are a few very good applications to scan your drive(s) and register
to prove if you are right or wrong about this :
AdAware SE personal 1.05
Spybot 1.3
SpySweeper
Xoftspy

Please post your results as a warning to all of us ......

-=Rob
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 8:17:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

-=Rob <r.weekhout@invalid.nl> wrote:
>eawckyegcy@yahoo.com schreef:
>> -=Rob wrote:
>>
>>
>>>>.. but why does Picasa insist on connecting to the internet every
>>
>> time
>>
>>>>it is started up ? .. tad of spyware ? .. :-)
>>>
>>>NOPE, Picasa is looking for updates while stating up !
>>>You can switch it off : Tools > Options > General TAB
>>>
>>>First do some digging into a new program before posting..............
>>
>>
>> Go ahead and believe it is "checking for updates", but a program that
>> connects to the 'net without prior user approval is arguably "spyware".
>>
>There are a few very good applications to scan your drive(s) and register
>to prove if you are right or wrong about this :
>AdAware SE personal 1.05
>Spybot 1.3
>SpySweeper
>Xoftspy

>Please post your results as a warning to all of us ......

Picasa does not register as spyware using Spybot 1.3. Why should
it be? The internet connection is a vulnerability since the
program is looking for something to download. All it takes is
a hijacked site and bango! a lot of folks have got whatever they
want.

----- Paul J. Gans
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 8:17:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

-=Rob wrote:
> eawckyegcy@yahoo.com schreef:
>
>> -=Rob wrote:
>>
>>
>>>> .. but why does Picasa insist on connecting to the internet every
>>
>>
>> time
>>
>>>> it is started up ? .. tad of spyware ? .. :-)
>>>
>>>
>>> NOPE, Picasa is looking for updates while stating up !
>>> You can switch it off : Tools > Options > General TAB
>>>
>>> First do some digging into a new program before posting..............
>>
>>
>>
>> Go ahead and believe it is "checking for updates", but a program that
>> connects to the 'net without prior user approval is arguably "spyware".
>>
> There are a few very good applications to scan your drive(s) and register
> to prove if you are right or wrong about this :
> AdAware SE personal 1.05
> Spybot 1.3
> SpySweeper
> Xoftspy
>
> Please post your results as a warning to all of us ......
>
> -=Rob

Most of THOSE also connect to the internet, and there is no need for
them to do that, so better not use them, right?

If you don't want a program to access the internet, then simply disallow
it access from your firewall program. You DO have a firewall, don't you?


--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 7:41:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote:
>-=Rob wrote:
>> eawckyegcy@yahoo.com schreef:
>>
>>> -=Rob wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>> .. but why does Picasa insist on connecting to the internet every
>>>
>>>
>>> time
>>>
>>>>> it is started up ? .. tad of spyware ? .. :-)
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> NOPE, Picasa is looking for updates while stating up !
>>>> You can switch it off : Tools > Options > General TAB
>>>>
>>>> First do some digging into a new program before posting..............
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Go ahead and believe it is "checking for updates", but a program that
>>> connects to the 'net without prior user approval is arguably "spyware".
>>>
>> There are a few very good applications to scan your drive(s) and register
>> to prove if you are right or wrong about this :
>> AdAware SE personal 1.05
>> Spybot 1.3
>> SpySweeper
>> Xoftspy
>>
>> Please post your results as a warning to all of us ......
>>
>> -=Rob

>Most of THOSE also connect to the internet, and there is no need for
>them to do that, so better not use them, right?

>If you don't want a program to access the internet, then simply disallow
>it access from your firewall program. You DO have a firewall, don't you?

It isn't that simple. I use Zone Alarm (the free version) and
it *automatically* allows a number of Microsoft programs to access
the net. This annoys me. I know that the programs are lonesome
but they really don't need to call home every time I turn the machine
on...

--- Paul J. Gans
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 7:41:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Paul J Gans wrote:
> Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote:
>
>>-=Rob wrote:
>>
>>>eawckyegcy@yahoo.com schreef:
>>>
>>>
>>>>-=Rob wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>>.. but why does Picasa insist on connecting to the internet every
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>time
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>>it is started up ? .. tad of spyware ? .. :-)
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>NOPE, Picasa is looking for updates while stating up !
>>>>>You can switch it off : Tools > Options > General TAB
>>>>>
>>>>>First do some digging into a new program before posting..............
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Go ahead and believe it is "checking for updates", but a program that
>>>>connects to the 'net without prior user approval is arguably "spyware".
>>>>
>>>
>>>There are a few very good applications to scan your drive(s) and register
>>>to prove if you are right or wrong about this :
>>>AdAware SE personal 1.05
>>>Spybot 1.3
>>>SpySweeper
>>>Xoftspy
>>>
>>>Please post your results as a warning to all of us ......
>>>
>>>-=Rob
>
>
>>Most of THOSE also connect to the internet, and there is no need for
>>them to do that, so better not use them, right?
>
>
>>If you don't want a program to access the internet, then simply disallow
>>it access from your firewall program. You DO have a firewall, don't you?
>
>
> It isn't that simple. I use Zone Alarm (the free version) and
> it *automatically* allows a number of Microsoft programs to access
> the net. This annoys me. I know that the programs are lonesome
> but they really don't need to call home every time I turn the machine
> on...
>
> --- Paul J. Gans

Hummm. Haven't used ZA in a long time, but can't you specifically
disallow any program from having internet access? If not, they perhaps
you should check out Outpost Firewall.
I recall having to disallow the driver for a MS natural keyboard from
accessing the internet every time I rebooted. Now just WHY does a
keyboard driver need internet access? Probably to check for updates,
but I can do that manually (and would rather). That's why a true
firewall that monitors what goes OUT as well as IN is essential to real
security.


--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 7:43:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote:
>eawckyegcy@yahoo.com wrote:
>> -=Rob wrote:
>>
>>
>>>You can switch the option off very easily, so what is the problem
>>
>> then?
>>
>> The option shouldn't exist, or, if it should, should not be "on" by
>> default.
>>
>I would agree it should default to off, but saying it shouldn't be there
>is a bit of a stretch. Why shouldn't a program check for updates?

Because it is MY computer. It should have, as do many other
programs, a menu item that says "check for updates". That way
you don't have to wait for program after program to go through
trying to connect to the internet when you have your intenet
connection off. (Think portable user working off line.)

---- Paul J. Gans
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 3:52:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Mitchell Holman Wrote:
> What is the story on this image sorting
> software? Does it do anything other programs
> don't, and are there any privacy concerns
> regarding it?

Just found this program the other night and it is the easiest to use
and faster. I havent' explored all the aspects yet but I am very
pleased so far.


--
Nkarpen
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 3:54:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

dragko@gmail.com Wrote:
> I have enjoyed my day long adventure. It is a very usable program. I
> would surely recommend it to someone who does not use file naming
> conventions and folder structure. The chronological format is
> acctually the easiest way to view images from a memories kind of
> prespective.
>
> I give this a 8/10 for family photo sorting.
> In my opinion Stick with ACDsee for the pros :) 
Your don't have to use it chronologically it will sort by name too.


--
Nkarpen
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 9:15:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Paul J Gans" <gans@panix.com> wrote in message
news:ctuud8$m6v$2@reader2.panix.com...
>
> It isn't that simple. I use Zone Alarm (the free version) and
> it *automatically* allows a number of Microsoft programs to access
> the net. This annoys me.

It would annoy me if it didn't allow IE and Outlook to access the net....
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 9:16:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"imbsysop" <imbsysop@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:tif601p88853ebh9rb9o9k5q6eghkcpovg@4ax.com...
>
> you may call it paranoia but I have a 150+ networked PC's node to run
> .. so I'd better show some premature paranoia instead of having to
> bring my bed in order to do a 24/24-7/7 cleanup operation as a result
> of not having paranoia :-)

Buy Macs ?
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 10:31:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

adm wrote:
> "Paul J Gans" <gans@panix.com> wrote in message
> news:ctuud8$m6v$2@reader2.panix.com...
>
>>It isn't that simple. I use Zone Alarm (the free version) and
>>it *automatically* allows a number of Microsoft programs to access
>>the net. This annoys me.
>
>
> It would annoy me if it didn't allow IE and Outlook to access the net....
>
>
IE I have to use now and then for Windows Update. Neither Outlook, nor
OE are allowed on my computer.


--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 3:02:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:cPadnepDcOKOIZ7fRVnysg@giganews.com...
>
> "imbsysop" <imbsysop@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:tif601p88853ebh9rb9o9k5q6eghkcpovg@4ax.com...
>>
>> you may call it paranoia but I have a 150+ networked PC's node to run
>> .. so I'd better show some premature paranoia instead of having to
>> bring my bed in order to do a 24/24-7/7 cleanup operation as a result
>> of not having paranoia :-)
>
> Buy Macs ?

No thanks .. we have them .. now those are a real PITA !! :-)
Pay to all the gods you can imagine if you ever have to service them :-)
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 7:46:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote:
>Paul J Gans wrote:
>> Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote:
>>

>>>If you don't want a program to access the internet, then simply disallow
>>>it access from your firewall program. You DO have a firewall, don't you?
>>
>>
>> It isn't that simple. I use Zone Alarm (the free version) and
>> it *automatically* allows a number of Microsoft programs to access
>> the net. This annoys me. I know that the programs are lonesome
>> but they really don't need to call home every time I turn the machine
>> on...
>>
>> --- Paul J. Gans

>Hummm. Haven't used ZA in a long time, but can't you specifically
>disallow any program from having internet access? If not, they perhaps
>you should check out Outpost Firewall.
>I recall having to disallow the driver for a MS natural keyboard from
>accessing the internet every time I rebooted. Now just WHY does a
>keyboard driver need internet access? Probably to check for updates,
>but I can do that manually (and would rather). That's why a true
>firewall that monitors what goes OUT as well as IN is essential to real
>security.

I agree. I'm also behind a hardware firewall and I've had no
unwanted intrusions as a result. I use Windows for photoshop.
But mainly I run linux. So I've not bothered to check out exactly
what is going on with all the "calling home". But you are right,
I should check on a better firewall.

--- Paul J. Gans
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 7:53:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

adm <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>"Paul J Gans" <gans@panix.com> wrote in message
>news:ctuud8$m6v$2@reader2.panix.com...
>>
>> It isn't that simple. I use Zone Alarm (the free version) and
>> it *automatically* allows a number of Microsoft programs to access
>> the net. This annoys me.

>It would annoy me if it didn't allow IE and Outlook to access the net....

It asks about those. I have no idea what the others are. If you
look at the running programs at startup you will see a bunch of likely
suspects.

But we are getting well off-topic here.

---- Paul J. Gans
!