O boys and girls, heres a puzzler... Display crash and restart gtx 470

rakevinwr

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
So just build a new computer a few weeks ago, while playing WoW (Yes I know, but I wanted to give the new expansion a chance...) After about 4 hours my graphics card would start siezing, gpu usage going from 0 to 99% instead of a steady 99%, artifacts on screen and super frame rate drop. Then black screen for 10 seconds and restart with a message from windows: Graphics display driver has crashed and sucessfully restarted. The game would work well for a bit but it seemed to be performing not as well. And of course randomly it would happen again later.

Driver version 260.99

MSI Afterburner has fans set at 80% speed constant and the in game monitor never shows temepratures going above 72 degrees celcius.

Specs below
CPU: Intel core i5-760 Quad 2.8 OC to 3.3
Memory 4gb ADATA 1600 mhz ddr3
Mobo asus p7p55d-e pro
gpu evga sc gtx 470 at stock speeds for this version of there card
PSU Corsair 750w modular
Case: CM sniper
Game and OS are installed on a crucial 64gb ssd
OS Windows 7 64 bit professional

I tried a driver clean sweep and reinstall, and i made sure no audo device was functioning on the same pci port problem still occurs after an hour or two play. Restarting the system seems to reset it for a little while.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on, should I RMA the card with EVGA before there warranty expires?

Any help appreciated :)

(Havent tried on any other games yet so I can't compare there.)

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I'm having this problem on my GTX 295 with the same driver. It's a common problem.

For God's sake I just want two things:

1.) nVidia to write a STABLE driver for my card since it's release two bloody years ago

2.) Microsoft to stop signing unstable drivers as WHQL certified.

Make-a meee so angweee1!1!1!!!!!!!11!

>.<

rakevinwr

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Have you given any other driver a try cause I know I can install a newer version if I modify the .inf file

Or should I just roll back to the drivers that came on the cd?

rakevinwr

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Well, its called a super clock as sold by them but I Have not overclocked it anymore than what it was set at the first time I started it. All settings are at what was default listed on the box it came in.

Also I think I put this earlier but two different fan controllers and gcard monitoring utilities both have showed the temperature never going above 72 degrees celcius in a game. and on the log windows for both, I never see a spike.

This is a really hard issue to debug since the problem doesn't occur until gameplay has been going on for an hour or two. : /