Sign in with
Your question

O boys and girls, heres a puzzler... Display crash and restart gtx 470

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 8, 2010 7:03:13 PM

So just build a new computer a few weeks ago, while playing WoW (Yes I know, but I wanted to give the new expansion a chance...) After about 4 hours my graphics card would start siezing, gpu usage going from 0 to 99% instead of a steady 99%, artifacts on screen and super frame rate drop. Then black screen for 10 seconds and restart with a message from windows: Graphics display driver has crashed and sucessfully restarted. The game would work well for a bit but it seemed to be performing not as well. And of course randomly it would happen again later.

Driver version 260.99

MSI Afterburner has fans set at 80% speed constant and the in game monitor never shows temepratures going above 72 degrees celcius.

Specs below
CPU: Intel core i5-760 Quad 2.8 OC to 3.3
Memory 4gb ADATA 1600 mhz ddr3
Mobo asus p7p55d-e pro
gpu evga sc gtx 470 at stock speeds for this version of there card
PSU Corsair 750w modular
Case: CM sniper
Game and OS are installed on a crucial 64gb ssd
OS Windows 7 64 bit professional

I tried a driver clean sweep and reinstall, and i made sure no audo device was functioning on the same pci port problem still occurs after an hour or two play. Restarting the system seems to reset it for a little while.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on, should I RMA the card with EVGA before there warranty expires?

Any help appreciated :) 

(Havent tried on any other games yet so I can't compare there.)
December 8, 2010 7:19:53 PM

I'm having this problem on my GTX 295 with the same driver. It's a common problem.

For God's sake I just want two things:

1.) nVidia to write a STABLE driver for my card since it's release two bloody years ago

2.) Microsoft to stop signing unstable drivers as WHQL certified.

Make-a meee so angweee1!1!1!!!!!!!11!

>.<
m
l
December 8, 2010 7:22:49 PM

Have you given any other driver a try cause I know I can install a newer version if I modify the .inf file

Or should I just roll back to the drivers that came on the cd?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 7:34:54 PM

You can try using older drivers. POssibly reseating the VGA card too. Is yoru graphics card overclocked? If so remove the OC.

Usually if the GPU starts artifacting is from overheating or a GPU gone bad, but it can be driver or graphics card seating related.
m
l
December 8, 2010 7:44:30 PM

Well, its called a super clock as sold by them but I Have not overclocked it anymore than what it was set at the first time I started it. All settings are at what was default listed on the box it came in.

Also I think I put this earlier but two different fan controllers and gcard monitoring utilities both have showed the temperature never going above 72 degrees celcius in a game. and on the log windows for both, I never see a spike.

This is a really hard issue to debug since the problem doesn't occur until gameplay has been going on for an hour or two. : /
m
l
!