Whats the Difference between these SATA connectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayge

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Motherboard: "ASUS P8Z68-V PRO / GEN3"
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790&Tpk=ASUS%20P8Z68-V%20PRO%20%2f%20GEN3

im building a pc and need to hook up a 120gb SSD and a 1tb hard drive.
Please keep in mind im new at building computers so stay English :)

whats the difference between a

"Intel Z68 ATA 6.0 GB/s connector (7-pin SATA6G_1/2[gray])" and a
"Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 GB/s connector (7-pin SATA6G_E1/E2[navy blue])"

asusp8z68vpro_02.jpg

Solution
Marvell® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller : *3 - 2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue

*3: These SATA ports are for data hard drivers only. ATAPI devices are not supported.

sayge

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
thanks for the quick reply nikorr :D
what else would these sockets be used for other then a HD and SSD?

and just to clarify, my HD and SSD would be concidered "data hard drives" correct?

what is ATAPI?

keisuk3

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
yes, ur HDD and SSD would be consider data drives

atapi is da name they called it (4got what it was called) that allow the use of non-hard drive device on the same IDE data cable along side a hard drive.

i thought that didnt matter because each device had its own port and the reference to atapi was only for older IDE devices.

i think da main differences are how da pci-e lanes are used and how it might affect other pci-e device bandwidth. i think the marvell chipset shares it lane with da x4 r x1 slot so if u use that and have a x4 device it might slow one of them down. (correct me if im wrong). The other difference is speed. i think intel chipset run abit faster then marvell (again correct me if im wrong)

sayge

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
hah right.. forgot about my dvd drive,

this arises another question.

my MOBO came with x2 6gb cables and x2 3gb cables

i already used both the 6gb cables on my SSD and HDD, would it be more efficent to hook up the DVD drive with the remaining 3gb cable into a 6gb socket, would there be compatibility issues or no benifit what so ever?

keisuk3

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
sata 3 is backwards capable so if u use the 3gb/s wire for the dvd it will work. like what nikorr said makes no diff if u use da 3 r 6gb wire since the dvd drive will not even use all da bandwidth provided by sata II.

Status
Not open for further replies.