Building a computer help

G

Hello, I am saving up money over the summer to hopefully build my own gaming PC. I have done my research, but was wondering: should I get something such as an AMD Phenom II 965 BE or should i look I look at some Intel's? AMD is far cheaper, and it seems like it would suffice for anything i would throw at it. However I have heard that Intel is faster. I am not really looking to overclock, so that is the reason I am slightly skeptical of the Black Edition. If i were to go AMD, i feel like I could get a fairly better graphics card. I'm looking at ATI, and was thinking about something like a 5870? Anybody who has this can you tell me how it performs, and which brand should I get?

THANKS

G

OK, because I have a laptop with an Intel i5. It has worked really well, and have had no issues with it. The only thing really getting me is the price :/

2100 is faster now, but as time goes by, games will take advantage of the 4 cores on the Phenom II. If I were you, I would get an i5 2400 if you don't OC. the 2400 is very fast. It costs $190 though. If you can spend $190, the 2400 is the way to go.

If you are gaming mainly or only then the i3 2100 is the way to go and it costs around the same as the 955 when you add a cheap board. The 955 or 965 has the advantage if you wanted to overclock and if you wanted a board you can crossfire they are alot cheaper than intel. As for the 5870 its a good card if you can get a cheap one but the 6000 series are taking over from them.