HP 6530b doesnt boot after memory upgrade

kshanmugam

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I had 2 x 2 GB RAM installed and I wanted to upgrade this to 2 x 4 GB RAM - the maximum allowed on 6530b. I replaced one 2GB from the expansion slot with a 4GB SODIMM memory, the slot behind the laptop. Restarted the laptop and Windows 7 (64 bit) recognized the 6GB RAM and everything worked normally. After a few hours, I replaced the main 2 GB SODIMM (under the keyboard) with another 4 GB SODIMM. PC wouldn't bootup. I then replaced it with the original 2 GB SODIMM and it still doesn't start up. What could be the problem? I don't think I damaged any part while lifting the keyboard and replacing the memory.

Check the Voltage requirements of the New RAM. If they happen to be more than what the Mobo can support, you will run into problems especially since it's a Laptop.
Check the Documentation of the memory upgrade of the Laptop. See if you bought RAM that was at par with the systems requirements. That's mostly where this issue can arise.

kshanmugam

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
The memory was compatible. One of the two 4GB sticks provided by Fry's was faulty/damaged. These were sticks that were returned by customers, tested and put back on the shelf. The faulty 4GB stick was replaced (free replacement, but it wasted a lot of my time) with a new one from Fry's and the laptop is working correctly with the 8GB. Thanks for your reply.