Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Why microphone jack cannot function

Last response: in Components
May 8, 2011 6:06:38 AM

Hello,

Does anyone know how to trouble shoot the problem of the contact of the microphone jack on my notebook ?

Thanks!
May 11, 2011 1:47:31 PM

Have never done it before but I'm an AV tech so here's my best steps...

Within Recording Devices/Mircophone (right click the volume control bottom rhs of screen), do you get any level change on the test bars when you use your mic? Also check properties etc for a comment such as the device is working properly. If not you should be able to find the device type in Hardware and Google for device driver updates....

If not, if you can, try a seocond mic to check its not you mic (obvious it seems but essential to check - I had a faultly Audio Out jack in a $3k projector last week, but I thought it was most likely a cable fault). Otherwise check out your mic on any other desktop PC with a pink 3.5mm stereo input via the Recording Devices/Mircophone mentioned above.

As the Mic is an input I can't see anyway a Multimeter attached to the jack could give any further feedback to help.

If the Mic works, if the drivers are up to date then its likely an issue with your laptops soundcard, which when intregrated with the main board is usually an expensive repair (my last one was done via warranty on an old Mac Powerbook-if I'd had to pay I wouldn't have fixed it.

Good Luck mate.

Best solution

May 11, 2011 2:29:08 PM

Also, If you're keen enough to open the laptop up, from the back (in)side of the jack you'll have three contacts. One is a common.

By inserting an old 3.5mm stereo jack cable and stripping it to its 3 wires you could test continuity thru the jack, as after a while the old sprung metal contacts inside the jack bend and don't touch with the mic plug..

Or you might find that one of the three (most likely the common connection to the board has broken when a mic plug has bent in the jack).

You can test continuity via a cheap multi meter (continuity settings will give a tone when you have a connection).
If the mulimeter doesn't have a continuity tone setting you can put a AA battery in the loop and set the multimeter to its 2V setting, you'll get about 1.6V when you get a good thru connection.

If a contact is visibly broken at the board connection a very light touch of a soldering iron with a clean fine tip should rejoin it with the solder remaining from the broken joint. Wait for the iron to get hot as a short touch is way easier to control than holding it on for a longer time while the iron heats up :) 
Related resources
May 11, 2011 2:36:29 PM

Your notebook is refusing thanks to your out of key warbly singing. Take singing lessons or keep quiet when using your laptop. Slowly in time your notebook will respond to you again.

More seriously, as well has doing what has already been posted, you should ensure you haven't disabled the mic in software or have the mic level set too low.

If you are trying to use this microphone in a particular application ensure that under the applications setting you have the microphone set as the device you expect. Don't know how many times I've found applications using the wrong mic device!
May 12, 2011 9:07:06 AM

That is one of the interesting replies I have read from many so far......I think your problem must be solved by now.
May 19, 2011 3:52:43 AM

Hi,

I am just receive the late email notification from Tomshareware.com today, so sorry for the late reply.

Your first suggestion about testing the driver and replacing the mic has been tried and passed. So it will probably the problem was due to the mic jack itself or the sound card as you mentioned. I will retest the hardware per your suggestions. While temporary, I have buy an external USB sound card or hub to solve the problem. The microphone voice volume is a bit lower in volume with this USB device.

Anyway, thanks for your details suggestion and so helpful...
I will come back and tell u my testing result with the hardware.

Best Regard
xhk :bounce: 

darreng101 said:
Also, If you're keen enough to open the laptop up, from the back (in)side of the jack you'll have three contacts. One is a common.

By inserting an old 3.5mm stereo jack cable and stripping it to its 3 wires you could test continuity thru the jack, as after a while the old sprung metal contacts inside the jack bend and don't touch with the mic plug..

Or you might find that one of the three (most likely the common connection to the board has broken when a mic plug has bent in the jack).

You can test continuity via a cheap multi meter (continuity settings will give a tone when you have a connection).
If the mulimeter doesn't have a continuity tone setting you can put a AA battery in the loop and set the multimeter to its 2V setting, you'll get about 1.6V when you get a good thru connection.

If a contact is visibly broken at the board connection a very light touch of a soldering iron with a clean fine tip should rejoin it with the solder remaining from the broken joint. Wait for the iron to get hot as a short touch is way easier to control than holding it on for a longer time while the iron heats up :) 

May 19, 2011 3:53:17 AM

Best answer selected by xhk.
May 19, 2011 9:31:22 AM

Not exactly solved, just buy an USB sound card to overcome this problem.

Thanks!

Daave12 said:
That is one of the interesting replies I have read from many so far......I think your problem must be solved by now.

May 19, 2011 1:00:38 PM

Its often a case of not exactly solved round here lol, but I often find fresh perspectives on any problem lead to a result.

Glad you have it working.

Cheers for the best answer bro
May 19, 2011 1:03:39 PM

I still think it was your bad singing...

Get insurance on that USB sound card just in case. ;) 

Glad you have it sorted!
!