I7 2600k idling at 34C with Noctua NH-D14 cooler

colorfulclocks

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
I believe I am idling at around 34C according to my BIOS. I have an MSI P67A-GD65 motherboard with the i7 -2600k CPU running at stock settings. When using the Control Center utility that came with the mobo it reports around 24C. Using CPUID Hardware Monitor I have no idea which is my CPU temp, but neither of the 3 displayed temps even compare to what the Control Center utility reports. The Control Center utility also reports my RAM speed at 1333mhz even though I overclocked it in the BIOS to 1600, because it is 1600 ram. I'm really confused. I feel like I should be idling around the low 20s with that Noctua NH-D14 cooler. I used using Artic Silver 5 paste. I'm worried about the temperatures because I'd like to overclock and I have no idea where to look for an accurate temperature.

Thank you for your help.

Solution
Forget control center. Use the HW monitor.

You cpu is running 27-30c. HW monitor will also show you the max temp your cpu reached during gaming or benchmark runs.
Monitoring softwares can sometime get it wrong.. Check the resource monitor graphs.. You can find the resource monitor in the task manager (open task manager and click on resource monitor).. And what's your ambient room temperature.? A higher room temperature will result in a hotter running CPU regardless of how good a cooler you put on over it..

Even the best air cooler will not cool your CPU below ambient temperature. For temperature monitoring software, I use RealTemp and CoreTemp.

Although your your RAM is advertised as DDR3-1600 RAM, Control Center may be reporting DDR3-1333 because that is what is programmed into the SPD chips on the RAM sticks.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Yes, that is because the hsf itself is meant to dissipate heat not lower it.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Well compared to the both of you guys i doubt i can be even in the same wave length with you two..

colorfulclocks

Distinguished
May 8, 2011

Thanks jsc. So the RAM should be running at 1600 despite what Control Center has to say? CPU-Z reports each stick's max frequency is 677Mhz. CPU-Z could also be reporting inaccurately due to what is programmed into the SPD chips?
Also, ambient room temp right now is 70.9F. Control Center reports CPU at 24C, approximate CoreTemp : 26, 26, 26 28. To find the approximate temp as a whole can I just add the four cores together and take the average?
BIOS is always in low to mid 30s before OS boots. I read on a few forums that this could be an accurate reading and it is higher until the OS loads up.

colorfulclocks

Distinguished
May 8, 2011

Had it installed already, I'm not sure what is what as far as TMPIN0, 1, and 2 are. I don't know which is my mainboard, cpu, or northbridge. I read on a few forums that it was different for people. Also, since I don't want to believe I'm idling at 36C I don't want it to be TMPIN1. Anyway. Temps are as follows: TMPIN0 - 28C, TMPIN1 - 36C, TMPIN2 - 28C.

Core temps from HW Monitor:
0 - 27C
1 - 27C
2 - 27C
3 - 30C

colorfulclocks

Distinguished
May 8, 2011

Okay, thank you very much.

Only 2 way to drop cpu temps below ambient: (1) liquid Nitrogen - Not for the faint of heart, or thoes with rather small wallets. (2) Use a TEC cooler and defeat the regulator which is their to prevent the CPU from dropping below dewpoint (anywheres from a couple of degrees below ambient (Near 100% RH and 5 -> 10 C for lower RH). Acually thought about going this route (TEC).

Had to add - as My normal response also is CPU is normally 5 -> 10 C higher than ambient.

Ea0

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
Have same mobo, that utility sucks, your bios temp is not going to be your temp in your os. Get a program call CPU temp I believe. Worked best. Use CPU-z for ddr3 speeds. 34c idle is low for that CPU, I run a corsair h60 water-cooling, runs about that temps stock, runs about 60c under load at 4.5ghz and about 70c at 5ghz on load.

My setup:
Intel i7 2600k sandy bridge @ 5ghz
Water-cooled
Corsair 2133mhz ddr3 8Gb
Msi p67
2 Asus gtx570 directcuII in sli
1000 watt 80 plus bronze psu
120gb ocz ssd vertex 2
1tb hd 7200rpm 64mb cache sataIII dual processor
Wind tunnel case

-sent from my ipad 2!