No sound from asus p8z68-v pro/gen3 on-board HDMI

jsmirn

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Hello,
I have wired the hdmi output of my asus p8z68-v pro/gen3 mobo to my AV Receiver for sound, but I'm not getting any signal. I verified that the HDMI-in on my AV Receiver works by plugging another source into the same HDMI-input. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium.
In the BIOS settings of the Mobo, I have set the SPDIF Out Type to HDMI, and I have enabled integrated graphics by enabling iGPU Multi-Monitor.
After plugging in the HDMI cable and making the BIOS changes, I installed the latest Realtek sound driver (6.0.1.6251). In the Realtek Audio Manager, HDMI Output is selected. In Windows Control Panel->Sound, Realtek HDMI Output is selected as Playback device.
I confirmed that the HDMI output is not muted,a nd that the volume is cranked up.
Previoulsy I used the audio output jacks and the optical SPDIF, and they worked fine. FOr surround sound, I'd like to use the HDMI of course.
What's missing?

If you are using a 9800 GTX+ for your TV, that is why the realtek drivers are not doing anything. They are for the onboard HDMI port only.

You need to run a cable from your boards spdif out(so long as it has one) the video card. If the board lacks this(This connector should be right above your FP audio plug on the board.)

Like in this review
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/686/2/

If you connect the TV to the onboard HDMI, you "Should" get sound

Dealer009

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Another issue could be a conflict in audio devices. In Device Manager, check to see if the HDMI audio controller is conflicting with the onboard sound.

Whenever I install a new video card, it's onboard HDMI audio controller conflicts with whatever I was using, and I get no sound till I go into audio devices and disable the video card's listed audio device.

jsmirn

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Thanks nukemaster and Dealer009.

Nukemaster: Yes, the 9800GTX+ runs my monitor (not a TV). I cannot plug the monitor into the motherboard's HDMI outlet, because my monitor has 2560 pixels horiz., while the on-board GPU of the i7 only supports up to 1900 or so. Games would probably also suck using the on-board GPU.
But the Realtek drivers should control the on-board HDMI for sound output, as you say. So I should be able to route the HDMI from the motherboard into my AV Reveiver to get sound, and still get a video signal to my monitor through the 9800GTX+. Am I wrong about this?
You suggest to run an SPDIF cable from my board to the video card. My board has an SPDIF output, but SPDIF doesn't carry surround sound.
No, I'm not yyss.

Dealer009: I have now disabled all other sound devices. Still not getting anything through the on-board HDMI. Also, my Nvidia card is not listed as a sound output device.

Still pulling my hair...

Yes, games would suck on the onboard video.

I am not sure if the receiver(AMD and Nvidia's newer cards have there own built in sound card, but you current card does not) will still get audio when there is no video on at the same time. To be honest, never tried it.

Strange that the Spdif on board would now allow surround sound to be transferred(I know the optical input on many cards is stereo only).

All HDMI is, in a nutshell is DVI + Spdif(digital audio) in one cable(over time that have added things like network and whatnot as well, but the audio should still be a spdif setup going on).

Does your receiver have optical or coaxial digital in? The should offer the same quality as that of HDMI and since you are not sending video into the receiver, it may be just as good this way.

With so much audio being just 2 channel, some cards need different options enabled to use more channels, but to be honest, the only HDMI devices I use are set top boxes and bluray players. Those just work. For everything else, i just use that the sound card has.

Maybe to ensure everything works, connect up a screen to the intel HDMI port(Computer -> Stereo -> Monitor or even a TV) and see if you get working sound?

jsmirn

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
k1114: I have set the iGPU to be the primary boot device, but still cannot get audio to the AVReceiver. I Even re-installed the Intel Chipset driver, Intel HDGraphics driver (includes some HDAudio files) and the Realtek driver while iGPU was the primary boot device, but no change.

2 more observations:
* With the windows 7 desktop connected to the AVReceiver through HDMI, I can see the AVReceiver as a display in Control Panel->Displays (identified by the receivers brand name). But in Control Panel->Sound, I only see the generic 'Realtek HDMI Output'.
If I connect the AVReceiver to a laptop (Windows 7 32bit) with the same HDMI cable, I can immediately see the AVReceiver as both a new display and a new sound playback device in the control panel's Display and Sound windows. Sound playback from the laptop on the AVReceiver works fine.

* When connecting the SPDIF port of the desktop to the AVReceiver, I get sound.

Here a brief summary of my setup:
Mobo Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3, with Realtek ALC892
Core i7 2700K (has iGPU HD3000)
NVidia GTX9800+, drives a LG Flatron W3000H display
Windows 7 64bit
AVReceiver, connected to mobo-HDMI port, can play sound through SPDIF but not through HDMI

jsmirn

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
-- BUMP --
Brief summary of setup and problem:

Mobo Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3, with Realtek ALC892
Core i7 2700K (has iGPU HD3000)
NVidia GTX9800+, drives a LG Flatron W3000H display
Windows 7 64bit
AVReceiver, plays sound when connected to MoBo through SPDIF. When connected to MoBo through HDMI, the AVReceiver is recognized as a display, but not as a sound device. In that case, only the HDMI port is shown as sound device. When sending sound to it, I can see the volume bars flicker, but no sound gets to the AVReceiver.

I tried the latest Intel/realtek drivers, and those that came with the MoBo. Also tried various settings for primary boot device (iGPU or PCIE).

I'm quite sure that the problem is with the Computer, not the AVReceiver, because when plugging the HDMI cable into another computer, this computer recognizes the AVReceiver as sound device, and I can hear.

Just to make sure, when you run it with the onboard.

The Reaktek card is enabled(I think it just passes sound to the onboard HDMI) and the bios setting is for HDMI sound right? That should be tried with a screen on the onboard HDMI port.

The PCI-E card will never push sound without that 2 pin cable connected to it.

I will try to see what I can come up with on my Maximus Gene-z when i get a chance. It also has realtek + the same onboard ports.

jsmirn

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Hi Nukemaster -

yes, realtek is enabled - I installed the reltek drivers, and I can use the realtek GUI to switch between sound devices.

I also tried w/out the realtek drivers, i.e. using native windows sound drivers, with the same result - SPDIF-out works, HDMI doesn't.

The bios setting is for HDMI sound (as opposed to SPDIF). This bios setting, however, has little effect: I get SPDIF output no matter if it's set to SPDIF or HDMI.

I have now also tried to get the HDMI to work under Linux using the same motherboard (dual-boot). Same problem.

I have alc897 too but had nothing but trouble with the realtek software. Windows settings works with no issues so never have that software running except on my first boot to turn it off. But I am stumped too. I have dvi from 560ti to monitor + hmdi from mobo to tv with sound with no issues. Didn't do anything but plug in and change the igpu as primary.

sthrteen

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Sorry to bump up an older thread, I've searched all over the Net regarding this issue.

I've read a few different things that I need to try; Uninstalling audio drivers (realtek) turning off computer and ONLY having the HDMI cable plugged in, then re-installing drivers.

At the moment I have a HDMI cable plugged into my receiver and the optical as well for sound. seems dumb to have both of these cables plugged in and would like to eliminate the use of the optical cable. I'm gonna keep trying to figure out the issue.

Did anyone find a solution as well?

pc specs:
I5 2500k
Asus P8Z68-v/gen3
windows 7 64bit
No vid. card at the moment.

sthrteen

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
I think I solved the issue. Realtek HD Audio Manager is Garbage. I uninstalled program, plugged HDMI to receiver to TV. After reboot from uninstalling program, I heard the chime from windows; played some music with no issues. I went into Windows playback devices, the Sony AVAMP is Selected and playing sound.

Hope that helps.