Triple Channel Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunninRedline

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
My g/f sweetly bought me a Dell XPS model and not knowing any better only selected the 8GB DDR3 option instead of 12GB DDR3. The thought hadn't ever crossed my mind until I swapped out my graphics card that I'm only running in dual channel. I looked to see if I could buy the ram off newegg and they don't stock it. However, Dell does and wants $40 per 2GB stick. Is there anyway to add another 4GB (according to dell 12GB is the mobo max) without buying the exact memory? Do I just need to make sure it's the same Mhz and match up all the latencies? Or will I just need to buy 3 matching sticks?

Solution
Download CPUz from techpowerup and it'll tell you all about the RAM, you can then look for a set of RAMs that have the same specs and voltages. It'll work fine

Here check these out
http://www.myshopping.com.au/PR--325309_Kingston_KFJ_PM313_4G_4GB_DDR3_RAM__fs_53334_e__

One of these is bound to match the timings of your present RAM, and that you'll easily get from CPUz.

RunninRedline

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
The sticker on the first DIMM is missing but upon further inspection the memory is Elpida 10600. I can't find anything but their laptop memory for sale. So can I use a different brand of memory that has the same frequency and clocks?

Download CPUz from techpowerup and it'll tell you all about the RAM, you can then look for a set of RAMs that have the same specs and voltages. It'll work fine

Here check these out
http://www.myshopping.com.au/PR--325309_Kingston_KFJ_PM313_4G_4GB_DDR3_RAM__fs_53334_e__

One of these is bound to match the timings of your present RAM, and that you'll easily get from CPUz.

Solution

RunninRedline

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/studio-xps-435/pd

The main reason why I would like to upgrade to at least 12GB is because I'm going to be installing a 256GB SSD as a boot drive. In doing so, I would like disable the swap file system. After doing research and reading a bit about doing that, I've read that doing so with 8GB or less memory is unstable and that 12GB is minimum and 16GB is recommended. Plus I figured the extra memory bandwidth couldn't hurt.

Also, when I was searching for the link of my computer, I noticed that it says expandable to 24GB. The Dell tech told me 12GB though so I'm not sure which to believe.

Dual Channel works and 8GB is plenty, see below. comments removed by Jaquith.

DDR3_GA.jpg

This is simply not correct. If needed reduce the 'swap file' to the HDD or reduce it to 2GB and leave it on the SSD.

comments removed by Jaquith.

Let's just leave the missus out of this discussion.

@PO

If you are unsure what RAM to get, just get another 4GB of another brand with same spec. If it is not working with your existing RAM, then buy another pair of the same to get 3x4GB. Simple solution and DDR3 is really cheap.

alyoshka posted the solution. Download and run cpuz. Two tabs at the top one memory (Shows what it is running, ie daul channel and cl values), 2nd tab is spd and will show:
Brand
Part Number
Voltage/CL ratings that it will run at
An XMP rating that can be used by selecting it in BIOS(most new MBs)

Added, on Virtual memory
While some recomment that you can delete it with => 8 Gigs ram, it is recommended that you set to a low value, and set the MIN and MAX to that value. I use 1024 Gig on my 8 gig systems and 512 m on my 16 gig System.

And I got banned from the forum for a week when we were discussing about the Ageia PhysX card, can you believe that!!! I didn't even get personal with the others to this level...... What a discussion.... this is really unbelievable.... Now the Mod needs to close this thread ASAP....

Status
Not open for further replies.