Sign in with
Your question

Need help on 3D PC (first time tower buy'r)

Last response: in Systems
February 8, 2011 12:40:47 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: about a month

Budget Range: $3,000 (before rebates)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming > surfing the net > school

Parts Not Required: In need of all parts.....

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com (is the only place I've purchased, I'm open to reccomendations...I was thinking about a pre-built as well)

Country of Origin: United States?

Parts Preferences: unkown (open to suggestions)

Overclocking: Maybe (i've never messed around with overclocking before but am up to looking into it)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (depends a bit on feedback I'm still unsure)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 the best i can get with 3d at this point, right?

Additional Comments: This is my first time purchasing a tower...needless to say I was considering purchasing a pre-made from ibuypower or cyberpower....I've currently been gaming on a 3 year old laptop 9800 gts 2 core duo :/  and I'm way behind the curve trying to play metro 2033 or dragon age on it. So i was looking for some feed back on my build at what would be completely wrong with it and where i can make improvements to get more bang for my buck...I'm not very good with fixing/tinkering with computers myself and was looking at the best possible "now" 3d pc i could find for 3kish bucks. Please don't be to harsh on me :p . Here was the system build i was looking at going with

Case CoolerMaster HAF 922 Gaming Case - Black
Processor Intel® Core™ i7 950 Processor (4x 3.06GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System
Memory 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1600 - Corsair XMS3 Dominator w/DHX technology
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 2GB - SLI Mode (Dual Cards)
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X58 (SLI compatible)
Power Supply 850 Watt -- CoolerMaster RS850
Primary Hard Drive 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Dual 1TB Drives (2TB Capacity) - RAID 0 High Performance
Optical Drive 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive
Sound Card Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Network Card Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Keyboard Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard
Mouse MadCatz Cyborg R.A.T.7 5600dpi Gaming Mouse
Monitor 23" LCD 1920x1080 -- ASUS VG236H 3D-Ready 120Hz
Speaker System Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround 3D Sound Speakers + Subwoofer
Power Protection Surge Buster - Opti-UPS SBAM1060X

P.S. SATA drives really that good? Are the blu ray playrs worth the extra hundred bucks? And just once agian I'm not really looking for something i can upgrade I just something that will last me the next 2-3 years in 3d gaming (if possible)

More about : time tower buy

February 8, 2011 2:00:59 PM

No one sells IDE drives anymore, and since they perform so crappily, there's no reason not to use SATA drives. It's kinda like asking are PC's really better than typewriters.

Blue ray isn't worth extra money if you don't plan on actively using it.

Why are you buying from cyberpowerpc or ibuypower? Both companies suck. Their support is crap, they send nonfunctional system a significant % of the time, and they make you pay a fee + shipping to fix issues.

Go read their BBB and reseller ratings pages, full of angry people.
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/CyberPower
lifetime ratin 7.6
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/iBUYPOWER#
lifetime rating 7.5

If you want to be sent a working computer then go with a respectable company, not the cheapest one.

Top ones are:
avadirect 9.5 lifetime rating.
maingear 9.8
Puget 9.9

AVAdirect has the best prices of the 3.
February 8, 2011 2:08:13 PM

As for your actual part selections, RAM would be better off and cheaper with G Skill.
SLI 560 right off the bat isn't very smart. I'd recommend going with a 570 or 6950 depending on which is cheaper.

Sound card is useless, Mobo sound is perfectly fine.

PSu- bad choice. Stick with a Corsair, Seasonic, XFX or Antec TP line.

Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers can all be bought much cheaper at another website like newegg or amazon.

Do you actually need a UPS?

TBH you'd be much better off with just buying parts and building yourself. That above build is not even $2k if you put it together yourself.

Is a couple hrs of your time really worth $1,000? building a system is no more than 5 hrs of actual work (including testing) and I seriously doubt you make more than $200 an hr.
!