Solved

Upgrade Dell Dimension 8300 PSU to 400w

I just ordered a 400w Dell PSU to upgrade the 305 PSU on my Dimension 8300...I have read where that might be too much for the motherboard...is this true? I am upgrading the Power Supply because I run Second Life and it is a graphics beast...so I am planning on also upgrading my GeForce 6200 to a 7800. Any feedback will be welcome.

Thanks
SL
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade dell dimension 8300 400w
  1. Where did you read that? You should be fine. Your CPU will pull in the power it needs, it won't overload.
  2. Pallimud said:
    Where did you read that? You should be fine. Your CPU will pull in the power it needs, it won't overload.

Hi there

Thank you...I think I read it here somewhere.

SL
  3. Best answer
    If it would fit a 1000W PSU would work fine in it. You can not damage a computer from having a large power supply.

The only way a power supply will damage a system is if the voltages are out of specs. If the 12V goes to 15V or if the PSU has a power spike.

You could damage your system if you use a PSU that is too small. It could burn up and take out other components.
  4. Thanks everyone for your help...I did upgrade to the 400watt supply and all went well.
  5. Best answer selected by secondlifer.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Dimension Dell Graphics