Upgrade Dell Dimension 8300 PSU to 400w

secondlifer

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
I just ordered a 400w Dell PSU to upgrade the 305 PSU on my Dimension 8300...I have read where that might be too much for the motherboard...is this true? I am upgrading the Power Supply because I run Second Life and it is a graphics beast...so I am planning on also upgrading my GeForce 6200 to a 7800. Any feedback will be welcome.

Thanks
SL

Solution
If it would fit a 1000W PSU would work fine in it. You can not damage a computer from having a large power supply.

The only way a power supply will damage a system is if the voltages are out of specs. If the 12V goes to 15V or if the PSU has a power spike.

You could damage your system if you use a PSU that is too small. It could burn up and take out other components.

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
If it would fit a 1000W PSU would work fine in it. You can not damage a computer from having a large power supply.

The only way a power supply will damage a system is if the voltages are out of specs. If the 12V goes to 15V or if the PSU has a power spike.

You could damage your system if you use a PSU that is too small. It could burn up and take out other components.

Solution