Nikon D70 vs. Canon 20D

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 1, 2005 1:38:23 AM

<begin rant>

Is it just me, or do the users of these two cameras (you will note that I
use the D70) lately seem to be digital photography's equivalent of AOL?

<end rant>

Sorry, just in a crabby mood. My back has been bothering me lately.

--
Christopher J. Campbell
World Famous Flight Instructor

Ne Obliviscaris

More about : nikon d70 canon 20d

February 1, 2005 5:12:15 AM

Considering good prices on the D70 and the quality of the camera I would
doubt a lot of people that haven't a clue on what any of the functions on it
would buy it. It's not illegal or "bad" for a newbie to use a good SLR
camera....hell, it does have a dummy mode they can use to take pictures so
when they are ready to start using some of the advanced functions they can
because it's there waiting. It baffles me on why some people actually care
if an idiot buys a real expensive camera and doesn't know how to use it.
Either it's a real dumb move because the buyer will never take the
initiative to learn anything or it's a very intelligent move because the
buyer would be motivated with all the new power they have to learn and start
using those new settings and functions. Old school camera people just hate
to see a new guy take a picture in dummy mode which takes only seconds
against an advanced camera operator that spends an hour on it and the dummy
mode picture looks better! That really pisses them off.

"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <begin rant>
>
> Is it just me, or do the users of these two cameras (you will note that I
> use the D70) lately seem to be digital photography's equivalent of AOL?
>
> <end rant>
>
> Sorry, just in a crabby mood. My back has been bothering me lately.
>
> --
> Christopher J. Campbell
> World Famous Flight Instructor
> Port Orchard, WA
>

> Ne Obliviscaris

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 11:26:58 AM

xman@thedripper.com wrote:
> It baffles me on why some people actually care
> if an idiot buys a real expensive camera and doesn't know how to use
it.

It doesn't bother me to see that, but I do understand the fellow
who doesn't have much money, works hard, saves his pennies, and
buys a $300 camera which he uses to its maximum capability, and
then watches some fellow with money to burn buying a wonderful
$2,000 camera setup that our poverty stricken photographer can't
begin to aspire to. It's galling to him to see that fine
equipment just sit on the shelf and only used occasionally for
botched family snapshots in auto mode.

But our poor photographer should take heart. If the people
with too much money didn't buy good cameras, then the price of
those cameras would be even higher because of the smaller
market.

Alan
February 1, 2005 3:54:45 PM

"Alan Meyer" <ameyer2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> xman@thedripper.com wrote:
>> It baffles me on why some people actually care
>> if an idiot buys a real expensive camera and doesn't know how to use
> it.
>
> It doesn't bother me to see that, but I do understand the fellow
> who doesn't have much money, works hard, saves his pennies, and
> buys a $300 camera which he uses to its maximum capability, and
> then watches some fellow with money to burn buying a wonderful
> $2,000 camera setup that our poverty stricken photographer can't
> begin to aspire to. It's galling to him to see that fine
> equipment just sit on the shelf and only used occasionally for
> botched family snapshots in auto mode.
>
> But our poor photographer should take heart. If the people
> with too much money didn't buy good cameras, then the price of
> those cameras would be even higher because of the smaller
> market.
>
> Alan

Not only that, but they contribute to a healthy used market, when either
they get tired of struggling with a camera that is over their heads, or the
next latest and greatest comes out, they sell the camera they have and move
on to the next one.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <begin rant>
>
> Is it just me, or do the users of these two cameras (you will note that I
> use the D70) lately seem to be digital photography's equivalent of AOL?
>
> <end rant>
>
> Sorry, just in a crabby mood. My back has been bothering me lately.

You need a good Swedish massage. With OAL.

When I get my 20D, I'm gonna make sure I know where the Full Auto setting
is, and keep it there for at least 1000 shots.

Dave
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:51:13 PM

"Hyperoglyphe" <hyperoglyphe@schlockmail.com> wrote in message

> "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> <begin rant>
>>
>> Is it just me, or do the users of these two cameras (you will note that I
>> use the D70) lately seem to be digital photography's equivalent of AOL?
>>
>> <end rant>
>>
>> Sorry, just in a crabby mood. My back has been bothering me lately.
>
> You need a good Swedish massage. With OAL.
>
> When I get my 20D, I'm gonna make sure I know where the Full Auto setting
> is, and keep it there for at least 1000 shots.
>
> Dave

How sad.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:51:13 PM

"Hyperoglyphe" <hyperoglyphe@schlockmail.com> wrote in message

> "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> <begin rant>
>>
>> Is it just me, or do the users of these two cameras (you will note that I
>> use the D70) lately seem to be digital photography's equivalent of AOL?
>>
>> <end rant>
>>
>> Sorry, just in a crabby mood. My back has been bothering me lately.
>
> You need a good Swedish massage. With OAL.
>
> When I get my 20D, I'm gonna make sure I know where the Full Auto setting
> is, and keep it there for at least 1000 shots.
>
> Dave

Stay away from "Full Auto!" You lose too much functionality of the camera.
If you're lazy, like me, stick with "Program," does all the things the silly
"green square" will, but retains metering, AF and custom functions.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 8:43:55 PM

On 2005-02-01, C J Campbell wrote:
><begin rant>
>
> Is it just me, or do the users of these two cameras (you will note that I
> use the D70) lately seem to be digital photography's equivalent of AOL?
>
><end rant>

I can see where you are coming from, but I think the issue is that
there are no DSLR's below these cameras. I know the owner of the
D70 I am currently using bought the camera to photography his son
playing hockey, something that requires at least a D70 if you
really want a half way decent image.

If there where less expensive options out there for the average
joe, I am sure they would buy them over these middle level
cameras, but until then there will be a mix of know nothings and
skilled photographers using the D70 and it's Canon equivalent.

> Sorry, just in a crabby mood. My back has been bothering me lately.

not a problem;)
February 1, 2005 8:43:56 PM

My new DSLR camera with auto mode.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

"Sam Carleton" <scarleton-nospam@miltonstreet.com> wrote in message
> On 2005-02-01, C J Campbell wrote:
> ><begin rant>
> >
> > Is it just me, or do the users of these two cameras (you will note that
> > use the D70) lately seem to be digital photography's equivalent of AOL?
> >
> ><end rant>
>
> I can see where you are coming from, but I think the issue is that
> there are no DSLR's below these cameras. I know the owner of the
> D70 I am currently using bought the camera to photography his son
> playing hockey, something that requires at least a D70 if you
> really want a half way decent image.
>
> If there where less expensive options out there for the average
> joe, I am sure they would buy them over these middle level
> cameras, but until then there will be a mix of know nothings and
> skilled photographers using the D70 and it's Canon equivalent.
>
> > Sorry, just in a crabby mood. My back has been bothering me lately.
>
> not a problem;)
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 8:43:57 PM

"Steve" <Hotone@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My new DSLR camera with auto mode.
>
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

Second time in three days you've made THAT joke. Except this time it didn't
work because it's not a DSLR.
February 1, 2005 8:43:58 PM

So, whats your point
You sound like a Nikon user.

"Cynicor" <j.t.r.u..p.i..n...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message

> "Steve" <Hotone@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > My new DSLR camera with auto mode.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

> Second time in three days you've made THAT joke. Except this time it
didn't
> work because it's not a DSLR.

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 9:04:45 PM

So . .are you buying a D2x soon ? :)

=bob=

"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <begin rant>
>
> Is it just me, or do the users of these two cameras (you will note that I
> use the D70) lately seem to be digital photography's equivalent of AOL?
>
> <end rant>
>
> Sorry, just in a crabby mood. My back has been bothering me lately.
>
> --
> Christopher J. Campbell
> World Famous Flight Instructor
> Port Orchard, WA
>

> Ne Obliviscaris

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 12:00:38 PM

"Steve" <Hotone@comcast.net> wrote:
> "Cynicor" <j.t.r.u..p.i..n...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>>
>> > My new DSLR camera with auto mode.
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...
>>
>> Second time in three days you've made THAT joke. Except this
>> time it didn't work because it's not a DSLR.
>
> So, whats your point
> You sound like a Nikon user.

Yeah, I went with the camera company, not the photocopy machine company.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 12:07:35 PM

> "Hyperoglyphe" <hyperoglyphe@schlockmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> <begin rant>
>>>
>>> Is it just me, or do the users of these two cameras (you will note that
>>> use the D70) lately seem to be digital photography's equivalent of AOL?
>>>
>>> <end rant>
>>>
>>> Sorry, just in a crabby mood. My back has been bothering me lately.
>>
>> You need a good Swedish massage. With OAL.
>>
>> When I get my 20D, I'm gonna make sure I know where the Full Auto setting
>> is, and keep it there for at least 1000 shots.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Stay away from "Full Auto!" You lose too much functionality of the
> camera. If you're lazy, like me, stick with "Program," does all the things
> the silly "green square" will, but retains metering, AF and custom
> functions.

Thanks for the tip. (BTW, I'm smiley impaired. I love learning to use any
new hardware to its fullest abilities.)

Dave
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 12:07:36 PM

> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message
>> "Hyperoglyphe" <hyperoglyphe@schlockmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> You need a good Swedish massage. With OAL.
>>>
>>> When I get my 20D, I'm gonna make sure I know where the Full Auto
>>> setting is, and keep it there for at least 1000 shots.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

>> Stay away from "Full Auto!" You lose too much functionality of the
>> camera. If you're lazy, like me, stick with "Program," does all the
>> things the silly "green square" will, but retains metering, AF and custom
>> functions.
>
> Thanks for the tip. (BTW, I'm smiley impaired. I love learning to use any
> new hardware to its fullest abilities.)
>
> Dave

Yeah, I was startled the one and only time I ever used the "basic" modes,
the ones some people call "idiot modes." It was on my then month old A2, I
had the custom function set to leave a tail of the film out on rewind. I
was shooting a softball tournament, and thought I'd try the "Sport" mode
out. Midway through a roll of film, I went to change to another type of
film, which is why it was set to leave the tail out. Imagine my surprise
when the roll wound itself all the way up! The "Basic" modes cancel the
custom functions! I've never had any camera I've owned since then set on
those modes. I'm also not sure why a camera touted to professionals, like
both the A2 and 20D, even have those modes, except maybe for bragging
rights. My camera has more modes than yours does, or something like that...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 2:58:43 PM

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 21:16:31 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote:

<snip justified moan against "scene" modes>

> I'm also not sure why a camera touted to professionals, like
>both the A2 and 20D, even have those modes, except maybe for bragging
>rights. My camera has more modes than yours does, or something like that...

These days, unfortunately, the marketing department tends to drive the
technical department and not vice versa.

Regards,
February 2, 2005 2:58:44 PM

"Graham Holden" <look@bottom.of.post> wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 21:16:31 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote:
>
> <snip justified moan against "scene" modes>
>
>> I'm also not sure why a camera touted to professionals, like
>>both the A2 and 20D, even have those modes, except maybe for bragging
>>rights. My camera has more modes than yours does, or something like
>>that...
>
> These days, unfortunately, the marketing department tends to drive the
> technical department and not vice versa.
>
> Regards,
> Graham Holden (g-holden AT dircon DOT co DOT uk)
> --
> There are 10 types of people in the world;
> those that understand binary and those that don't.

All too true!

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
February 2, 2005 10:48:55 PM

>> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...
>> s&Q=&sku=18772&is=REG
>>>
>>> Second time in three days you've made THAT joke. Except this
>>> time it didn't work because it's not a DSLR.
>>
>> So, whats your point
>> You sound like a Nikon user.
>
> Yeah, I went with the camera company, not the photocopy machine
> company.

Sounds like your knowledge of Nikon is a little limited!

Hint
The company makes many consumer electronics and also cars, they just don't
use the Nikon name on the other stuff.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 20-Jan-05)
understand binary and those that don't"
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 7:39:45 AM

C J Campbell <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
><begin rant>
>
>Is it just me, or do the users of these two cameras (you will note that I
>use the D70) lately seem to be digital photography's equivalent of AOL?
>
><end rant>
>
>Sorry, just in a crabby mood. My back has been bothering me lately.

Like those $80,000 cars being driving by old men who drive like old
men.

What a waste.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer@sonic.net

"Ray Fischer" <rfischer@bolt.sonic.net> wrote in message
>C J Campbell <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>><begin rant>
>>
>>Is it just me, or do the users of these two cameras (you will note that I
>>use the D70) lately seem to be digital photography's equivalent of AOL?
>>
>><end rant>
>>
>>Sorry, just in a crabby mood. My back has been bothering me lately.
>
> Like those $80,000 cars being driving by old men who drive like old
> men.
>
> What a waste.
>
> --
> Ray Fischer
> rfischer@sonic.net

There are a lot of photographers out there upon whom neither of those
cameras are wasted. And have you ever seen Paul Newman drive? Admittedly,
he's only 79, but he cans still drive with the best of them!

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 7:39:46 AM

"Ray Fischer" <rfischer@bolt.sonic.net> wrote in message
..

> Like those $80,000 cars being driving by old men who drive like old
> men.
>
> What a waste.

Hey! You're hitting pretty close to home, there.
!