Sign in with
Your question

My computer is not opening programs?

Last response: in Windows 7
November 24, 2011 9:32:00 PM

Last night, as I was reading something, my laptop restarted itself. I figured I must have touched the wrong buttons so when it reloaded, I went right back to what I had been doing, which was unrar things from the past and reading them. However, I couldn't unrar something; it wasn't giving me the extract option. Trying to do "open with" didn't do anything either. So I tried to open firefox to look for answer, that wouldn't load. Tried to open Adware to run a virus scan, that wouldn't load. The mouse will change and get the little hour glass, but nothing pops up. I reduced a lot of my graphics to see if it was overloading the system, but that hasn't helped. I am able to open folders, but can't open word documents or photoshop or anything else. I put a word document on a flash drive and opened it here at work, so it's not the files themselves. I even had the task manager open while trying to click on these items and it looks like the system isn't even attempting to open these programs because nothing new pops up on the task manager's list. I'm not sure how to force a virus check if I can't open the program. I'm not sure what else it could be if it's not some virus/spyware. Any suggestions? Any way to force the virus program to run? Unfortunately I don't have it set to automatically go at a certain time.
Bitdefender Discount Codes
November 24, 2011 10:51:53 PM

jevsteralija said:
Last night, as I was reading something, my laptop restarted itself. I figured I must have touched the wrong buttons so when it reloaded, I went right back to what I had been doing, which was unrar things from the past and reading them. However, I couldn't unrar something; it wasn't giving me the extract option. Trying to do "open with" didn't do anything either. So I tried to open firefox to look for answer, that wouldn't load. Tried to open Adware to run a virus scan, that wouldn't load. The mouse will change and get the little hour glass, but nothing pops up. I reduced a lot of my graphics to see if it was overloading the system, but that hasn't helped. I am able to open folders, but can't open word documents or photoshop or anything else. I put a word document on a flash drive and opened it here at work, so it's not the files themselves. I even had the task manager open while trying to click on these items and it looks like the system isn't even attempting to open these programs because nothing new pops up on the task manager's list. I'm not sure how to force a virus check if I can't open the program. I'm not sure what else it could be if it's not some virus/spyware. Any suggestions? Any way to force the virus program to run? Unfortunately I don't have it set to automatically go at a certain time.

Boot to Safe Mode and run virus scan.
m
l
!