Sign in with
Your question

ASUS Ati Radeon HD 5770 + Sony Wega 36XBR800 ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 9, 2010 1:16:34 AM

This is probably an old topic but i don't know what else to do at this point. I've been trying for about the past week or so to connect my boyfriend's computer to our Sony Wega 36XBR800. With my laptop, all we do is just plug in an s-video cable (picture's blurry, blargh!) and there it is. However with the PC I've tried almost everything I saw lurking around google. Most solutions were simply "just plug in using a hdmi to DVI cable, it works great for me!" Which is the reason i bought this HDMI to DVI-D single link cable from amazon..(which in a few of the comments someone noted using this cable with THEIR sony wega.)

So long story short or whatever, what else can i do to get this to work? Is it the fact that i am using a cable that connects to the DVI port in the back? Would a VGA to Component cable be a viable solution? Just cause i'm not going to waste my time ordering another cable that will/won't work... :fou:  !!

Also, i've seen some others say i need to change to resolution to 480p? However i'm not quite sure how since this is our first HD (crt >.>) TV, I tried changing the resolution to 800x600 or lower (as some had suggested) but still resulting with a blank screen. The laptop supports up to 1084x768 with the s-video too.

well anyways my brain is melting away trying to figure this out *cry*
December 9, 2010 1:44:29 AM

Connecting a PC to a TV has it's issues.

First off, make sure you're actually switching the "Video Input" on the TV itself so the television knows which input to seek a signal on. This probably sounds VERY simple, but lots of folks don't realize they need to do this. There's usually an "Input" button the remote control.

The 36XBR800 is 1080i capable. So if you're running to the TV via DVI you'll want to use that resolution setting ON YOUR PC. This can be kind of complicated because Windows does NOT give you a 1080i or 480p option. So you then have to manually set the resolution through a "custom" resolution setting.

480p = 640 x 480 (S-Video)
720p = 1280 x 720 (HDMI TO DVI)
1080i = 1366 x 768 (some 1080i TVs are this resolution) (HDMI TO DVI)

Sony 36XBR800 Specs
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/KV36XBR800spec.p...

Sony 36XBR800 Manual

Also, keep in mind, if you're trying to OUTPUT video from a LAPTOP you sometimes have to activate the video output on the laptop itself. They don't necessarily output by default. Sometimes this may be done through Windows, or on some laptops (like my mother in law's) there's a button on the keyboard of the laptop itself. Look for a Function (F1, F2, etc) key that looks like it has a little screen picture on it. Often times pressing this while holding CTRL or FUNC or something similar allows you to access that command.

Once you get this working, it's also important that you understand that the TV (although the old XBR was great in its time) won't display as fine an image as your PC/laptop monitor. This comes down to how PC monitors and old CRT TVs actually display the image. Modern LCD monitors will display a finer image (better pixel density) than a TV (let alone an old TV).
m
l
December 9, 2010 10:31:09 PM

jerreece said:
Connecting a PC to a TV has it's issues.

First off, make sure you're actually switching the "Video Input" on the TV itself so the television knows which input to seek a signal on. This probably sounds VERY simple, but lots of folks don't realize they need to do this. There's usually an "Input" button the remote control.

The 36XBR800 is 1080i capable. So if you're running to the TV via DVI you'll want to use that resolution setting ON YOUR PC. This can be kind of complicated because Windows does NOT give you a 1080i or 480p option. So you then have to manually set the resolution through a "custom" resolution setting.

480p = 640 x 480 (S-Video)
720p = 1280 x 720 (HDMI TO DVI)
1080i = 1366 x 768 (some 1080i TVs are this resolution) (HDMI TO DVI)

Sony 36XBR800 Specs

Sony 36XBR800 Manual

Also, keep in mind, if you're trying to OUTPUT video from a LAPTOP you sometimes have to activate the video output on the laptop itself. They don't necessarily output by default. Sometimes this may be done through Windows, or on some laptops (like my mother in law's) there's a button on the keyboard of the laptop itself. Look for a Function (F1, F2, etc) key that looks like it has a little screen picture on it. Often times pressing this while holding CTRL or FUNC or something similar allows you to access that command.

Once you get this working, it's also important that you understand that the TV (although the old XBR was great in its time) won't display as fine an image as your PC/laptop monitor. This comes down to how PC monitors and old CRT TVs actually display the image. Modern LCD monitors will display a finer image (better pixel density) than a TV (let alone an old TV).

okay so there's one issue with the video input that i get confused with, i'm not sure which one is the correct input. I'm assuming you mean change the channel to either hd, video4 or whatever else there may be. Since it's the Dvi/HD port i'm plugging into I've always set it to the HD input channel, but if you don't mean that then i have no idea unfortunately =(

Also i noticed a couple things, while re-reading the manual it also said *video 7* underneath the DVI/HD label, but from what im guessing that just means the HD input channel. Here's another thing i thought was wierd it that when i go to change the resolutions on the second screen (TV) it's just labeled as "Display device on: VGA" when i have the old SYNCMASTER monitor plugged in with a "dongle" adapter, but if i plug in the syncmaster into just the regular VGA port, the second screen is labeled as another "syncmaster"? I've been playing with every possible option in the CATALYST CONTROL CENTER but nothing is workin, especially changing to the resolutions you suggested.

m
l
!