hannibal2469

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
hi
i have a question for experts
does any of you guys know which logic family intel(and amd ) use for their processors like ttl or cmos, they probably use cmos but can anyone tell me if it is exactly the same as the gate circuits we study at undergraduate level or are they modified versions of the same
whatever they maybe can someone plz suggest a source about those gates(whichever intel uses) to read about

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
both use cmos currently.Even with finfets they would use cmos.
The cmos with the one in school i doubt it would actually be the same nature.They would have doped it with a perfect crystalline.The ones used in universities should be primitive the very least.

hannibal2469

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
if u are talking about trigate cmos (the one in the upcoming ivybridge ) then
those processors allow higher clock speeds and lower power consumption i.e
for a particular clock speed ivy bridge will take less voltage(power) than planar transistor processors

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

yes, finfet is a term encompassing more than 1 gate.

hannibal2469

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
thx christian but all those articles, are mostly about the news about 3d trigate transistors being introduced and not about the technology itself except the article on anandtech itself which i have already gone through before, i actually want to read about in much more detail about the transistors and their circuits used in modern processors intel amd....etc

by the way what is the intel enthusiast team

I think the term "FinFET" is descriptive of the channel "fin" sticking up from the substrate. The number of gates you make with it would be the "tri-gate" part of the description :).