Firstly, my problem is this. At random intervals, my desktop PC will experience horrible lag spikes and these are followed almost immediately by a momentary disconnection from the network. The connection interruption is brief enough that the issue is resolved typically resolved by the time I have minimized whatever application I am currently running.
I'm used to having this problem on a very rare basis, but over the past 2 weeks it has become substantially more frequent, and for the past 2 days, it has been happening at LEAST once per hour. The only other wireless device connected to the network is my XBox 360. There is also another desktop connected to the router through hardwired ethernet. Neither of these devices experience the lag spikes or the random disconnections.
Yes, I understand that my router is far from up-to-date, but that's not something I'm currently able to update. I will be updating the firmware immediately after making this post, and I can only hope that makes a difference.
There are some factors that I could due to address with the connection itself, but it would seem to me that any problem caused on the other side of the wireless router would affect all the devices, not just the desktop.
Given this hardware set-up though, is there any light that could be shed on why this random disconnection is occurring?
You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.
1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.
The router is on the top of a desk overhang roughly 75 feet away from the PC. There are a couple of walls between the two.
I've done some experimenting with channels and none of those changes have made a difference that I've noticed, but I'll probably be trying the more major jumps in stops.
No cordless phones in the house.
I found another recommendation through my googling that I tried that seems to have made a pretty big difference in the signal strength I'm getting, but only time will if disabling the unused HomeGroup features as well as disabling IPv6 will make a difference.