Sign in with
Your question

880gm e43 wont start

Last response: in Components
May 8, 2011 6:56:41 PM

I have an 880-GM-E43 MSI MB that won't start with known good components. Nada , nothing, not even a beep.
I'm wondering if the ddr3 ram of 1600hx is to high as I see in the manual it supports 1600hz OC? Otherwise With basic stuff installed , nothing. This is the second MB I tried.

More about : 880gm e43 wont start

May 8, 2011 9:11:39 PM

I tried that and cleared the cmos to no avail. I took all components installed them in an Asus MB which worked perfectly.
I wonder if because the manual states 1600hz OC It only wants to see 1300hz or less ? The odds of 2 MB in a row with the same problem are not high. (Unless it was lunchtime in China.) I also tried changing various switch positions, two different CPUs , nothing.
m
l
Related resources
May 8, 2011 10:00:04 PM

How do you know it's not a bad power supply?
m
l
May 8, 2011 10:07:26 PM

neither motherboard should default to the OC memory setting 1600. If you want to test go into the bios and see where it clocked the memory and manually set it lower. Is the memory on the motherboards validated list?
m
l
May 9, 2011 12:18:53 AM

tried 2 both ok on another (Asus) MB.
m
l
May 9, 2011 12:23:27 AM

popatim said:
neither motherboard should default to the OC memory setting 1600. If you want to test go into the bios and see where it clocked the memory and manually set it lower. Is the memory on the motherboards validated list?

This doesn't even start up can't go to bios. The mem is HyperX Kingston 1600hz ddr3 . known to be ok. Short "pwr" = nada, zip, no beeps.
m
l
May 9, 2011 12:29:23 AM

The manual reads" DDR3 1600(OC) 1333/1066) I'll go to their site and see if they list my mem, thanks.
m
l
May 9, 2011 1:11:34 PM

I don't think the ram is your problem, the computer will start your 1600mhz ram at 1066 or 1333 no problem.

if the computer is not starting at all, you didn't hook up your cables or components correctly.
m
l
May 10, 2011 12:06:37 AM

Hi,

I have the same problem. Same MB with a AMD Phenom II x4 840 processor. And I am using 4 GB of 1333 MHz DDR3 memory (Corsair).

All components (including power supply, memory, hard disk and DVD Writer) are brand new. I am using the on-board VGA controller.

What happens is that the main on/off switch works fine, the CPU fan runs, but the system does not POST. The 4 bluish LED lights on the motherboard come on and stay on - but the monitor, keyboard and mouse show nothing. No diagnostic beeps are given out.

MSI support people said to try a different power supply, with more power/juice (my current power supply is a 380W one). Don't know if that is going to change anything though.

One thing I found was that the supported CPU list for this motherboard said it support this processor, but with a Deneb core. I think the currently shipping x4 840 processors all have a Propus core. Don't know if it matters or not, but I thought I'd throw this out there.

Any help on the matter is deeply appreciated.

m
l
May 10, 2011 1:09:45 AM

I tried 3 different PSs up to 650 watts, all new known to be good. 2 processors 965 and 3x 450 on 2 MBs and nada.
These boards are faulty from the get go. I have a complaint in to MSI, they haven't replied.
m
l
May 10, 2011 1:17:57 AM

P. MSI support people said to try a different power supply, with more power/juice (my current power supply is a 380W one). Don't know if that is going to change anything though.

T. If the dumb things only work with certain PSs MSI might consider telling us which ones!!
m
l
May 10, 2011 1:29:42 AM

You tried 3 psu's, 2 cpu's and 2 different motherboards.

It's pretty much impossible to get 2 doa motherboards. Your not hooking something up right.

Go through the standard troubleshooting in the new build section.
m
l
May 10, 2011 1:33:35 AM

If you can get these MBs to work you should have a PSs that's at least 500watts
with the add ons you mention. Personally if they don't get back to me by tomorrow
I'm returning this turkey and getting what I should have gotten in the first place, an Asus. All components I used on the MSI 880 worked perfectly on an Asus and on an El Cheapo MSI MB I keep as a spare.
m
l
May 10, 2011 1:36:45 AM

Really!! Not if the design is faulty. I don't know how many systems you've built. I've built hundreds.
m
l
May 10, 2011 1:54:28 AM

Try it on a table maybe you have a short with the case.
m
l
May 10, 2011 1:59:41 AM

As amazing as this may seem to you I, after hundreds of builds, I actually know how to put a 24 pin plug into a 24 pin socket. likewise for 4 pins etc.
These are the first MBs that I've seen that won't start up with the MFGs recommended settings. They may be faulty designs or
MFG. In any event it's no longer worth my time trying to solve their problems. If they do respond with a plausible solution I'll
post it.
m
l
May 10, 2011 2:01:00 AM

They're not in a case. they're on a bench.
m
l
May 10, 2011 3:41:31 AM

Well, not exactly a "Youngster" (75) but I did get carded at the KFC 2 years ago for the senior discount (true).
Over 50 years in electronics and movie biz.
m
l
May 10, 2011 2:23:18 PM

That's like saying because there are thousands of Priuses out there with gas pedals that don't stick you couldn't
possibly have dozens that do. LOOOL And Consumer Reports gave it 5 stars. Sounds like faulty thinker. Dude.
m
l
May 10, 2011 2:30:11 PM

P.S.
In your profile pic there is something that looks remarkably like a large fish. Did you notice that?
Just got a reply from MSI. All they say is clear the CMOS remove from case or return to seller.
The CMOS was cleared several times and a new battery installed. The board is on pro work bench with 0 contact to
it, Maybe I should try assembling this in a fishing boat.
m
l
May 10, 2011 3:24:23 PM

I mentioned the mem type to MSI. They didn't say it isn't OK. What is odd is that on a site called "FixYa" they show the
spec for this board's memory as "DDR 3 800 mhz" ????? What's that about. The only reason I went to the mem as a posible
explanation (other than both MB being bad ) is that after you've exhausted all likely reasons for it not working,
consider the unlikely.
After going to their support site contact page and clicking on the "USA" radio button, nothing happens!!! Hmmmm.
Are you seeing a pattern here?
m
l
May 10, 2011 3:49:15 PM

Just dawned on me. A few years ago I had an Asus that wouldn't start. Contacted them, and I did get a live carbon based life form, and they said the boards bios didn't ,as yet, support the 965 and that I would have to flash the bios. I don't know when these boards first went into production, but this could be an explanation.
m
l
May 10, 2011 5:01:41 PM

The cpu support list shows all X4's up to 975BE and X6 up to 1090T supported.

That board says it requires 1.5v ram. Is that what your using?
m
l
May 10, 2011 5:09:25 PM

Simply because the spec now shows a certain CPU as ok doesn't mean that the first run of the bios also supported it. The Asus that I mentioned ultimately supported the 965, but not the first release of the board.
m
l
May 10, 2011 6:09:57 PM

The X4 965 was supported 9/12/09 with bios 2.3. The X3 you tried was supported 8/12/09 with bios 2.2.

If you bought a board that's been sitting on the shelf longer than that, it's possible.

Maybe it say's on your box what bios version?
m
l
May 10, 2011 6:19:43 PM

It's anyones guess how old the board is. Just got a reply from FixYa expert on this board. He thinks they're defective.
There's a version # on the mainboard 1.3 I don't know if that just board or the bios, nothing on the box.
m
l
May 20, 2011 12:44:41 AM

Sorry none of the "experts" got it right. Grade d-
m
l
May 25, 2011 10:41:27 PM

I am having the same exact problem as you and it is really upsetting me. I have all of the same thing as you (AMD Phenom II x4 840 Processor and 4 GB DDR3 hyper X etc.) I thought it might be the power so that is the ONLY thing I haven't tried. And I KNOW that it is setup correctly. If you have a solution to my problem I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance.
m
l
May 26, 2011 2:46:54 AM

TristanG22 said:
I am having the same exact problem as you and it is really upsetting me. I have all of the same thing as you (AMD Phenom II x4 840 Processor and 4 GB DDR3 hyper X etc.) I thought it might be the power so that is the ONLY thing I haven't tried. And I KNOW that it is setup correctly. If you have a solution to my problem I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Tristan,
With my first query I asked if it could possibly be the ram Hyper X
1600 and an AMD 3X and 4X and was practically laughed at by one of the so called experts. Guess what? It's the HyperX ram and certain AMD CPUs and it's not just that board but others as well. The Asus manual for the M4A88TD-V EVO MB alludes to this. It says certain AMD cpus and memory combos may not work. What is unique about the 2 Asus MBs I have is a "Mem OK" button that when pushed will fine tune your DIMMs to boot up and perform well. When it "thinks" all is well a small red led lights up and guess what? It boots , very cool.
If the led doesn't light up, it probably wont even spin the fan , POST or get part way through POST then freeze. The very same components that I could not get to work with the MSI work just fine on 1 Asus but not the other Go figure ( I didn't try mem OK with it, the failure, as I didn't know it was capable of fine tuning until I had the time to read the whole manual, it may work w/mem OK)Solution: return MB get an Asus M4A88T-M (similar in price and features to the MSI mb ), try lower freq. ram by another vendor, try a different CPU, forget DIMM witted MSI "tech support", it's a joke, or go fishing ...aaaah!!! .. I made that last part up. Good luck, Bob
m
l
May 26, 2011 11:28:48 AM

P.S> It has nothing to do with your power supply.
B.
m
l
!