880gm e43 wont start

tahoeflx

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
I have an 880-GM-E43 MSI MB that won't start with known good components. Nada , nothing, not even a beep.
I'm wondering if the ddr3 ram of 1600hx is to high as I see in the manual it supports 1600hz OC? Otherwise With basic stuff installed , nothing. This is the second MB I tried.

tahoeflx

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
I tried that and cleared the cmos to no avail. I took all components installed them in an Asus MB which worked perfectly.
I wonder if because the manual states 1600hz OC It only wants to see 1300hz or less ? The odds of 2 MB in a row with the same problem are not high. (Unless it was lunchtime in China.) I also tried changing various switch positions, two different CPUs , nothing.

tahoeflx

Distinguished
May 8, 2011

This doesn't even start up can't go to bios. The mem is HyperX Kingston 1600hz ddr3 . known to be ok. Short "pwr" = nada, zip, no beeps.

pukutu

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Hi,

I have the same problem. Same MB with a AMD Phenom II x4 840 processor. And I am using 4 GB of 1333 MHz DDR3 memory (Corsair).

All components (including power supply, memory, hard disk and DVD Writer) are brand new. I am using the on-board VGA controller.

What happens is that the main on/off switch works fine, the CPU fan runs, but the system does not POST. The 4 bluish LED lights on the motherboard come on and stay on - but the monitor, keyboard and mouse show nothing. No diagnostic beeps are given out.

MSI support people said to try a different power supply, with more power/juice (my current power supply is a 380W one). Don't know if that is going to change anything though.

One thing I found was that the supported CPU list for this motherboard said it support this processor, but with a Deneb core. I think the currently shipping x4 840 processors all have a Propus core. Don't know if it matters or not, but I thought I'd throw this out there.

Any help on the matter is deeply appreciated.

tahoeflx

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
I tried 3 different PSs up to 650 watts, all new known to be good. 2 processors 965 and 3x 450 on 2 MBs and nada.
These boards are faulty from the get go. I have a complaint in to MSI, they haven't replied.

tahoeflx

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
P. MSI support people said to try a different power supply, with more power/juice (my current power supply is a 380W one). Don't know if that is going to change anything though.

T. If the dumb things only work with certain PSs MSI might consider telling us which ones!!

tahoeflx

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
If you can get these MBs to work you should have a PSs that's at least 500watts
with the add ons you mention. Personally if they don't get back to me by tomorrow
I'm returning this turkey and getting what I should have gotten in the first place, an Asus. All components I used on the MSI 880 worked perfectly on an Asus and on an El Cheapo MSI MB I keep as a spare.

tahoeflx

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
As amazing as this may seem to you I, after hundreds of builds, I actually know how to put a 24 pin plug into a 24 pin socket. likewise for 4 pins etc.
These are the first MBs that I've seen that won't start up with the MFGs recommended settings. They may be faulty designs or
MFG. In any event it's no longer worth my time trying to solve their problems. If they do respond with a plausible solution I'll
post it.

tahoeflx

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
That's like saying because there are thousands of Priuses out there with gas pedals that don't stick you couldn't
possibly have dozens that do. LOOOL And Consumer Reports gave it 5 stars. Sounds like faulty thinker. Dude.

tahoeflx

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
P.S.
In your profile pic there is something that looks remarkably like a large fish. Did you notice that?
Just got a reply from MSI. All they say is clear the CMOS remove from case or return to seller.
The CMOS was cleared several times and a new battery installed. The board is on pro work bench with 0 contact to
it, Maybe I should try assembling this in a fishing boat.

tahoeflx

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
I mentioned the mem type to MSI. They didn't say it isn't OK. What is odd is that on a site called "FixYa" they show the
spec for this board's memory as "DDR 3 800 mhz" ????? What's that about. The only reason I went to the mem as a posible
explanation (other than both MB being bad ) is that after you've exhausted all likely reasons for it not working,
consider the unlikely.
After going to their support site contact page and clicking on the "USA" radio button, nothing happens!!! Hmmmm.
Are you seeing a pattern here?

tahoeflx

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Just dawned on me. A few years ago I had an Asus that wouldn't start. Contacted them, and I did get a live carbon based life form, and they said the boards bios didn't ,as yet, support the 965 and that I would have to flash the bios. I don't know when these boards first went into production, but this could be an explanation.