GTS450 or HD 5770

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitec16

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
well i wanted to know which card should i buy a MSI GTS 450 or MSI r5770 hawk? there is a 20$ difference in price of GTS 450 n 5770 from where i m getting them.

Solution
The HD5770 should beat the GTS450; the GTX460 is the comparable nVidia card.
I would choose a 1GB GTX460. It uses less power at idle than the HD5770, where you'll be much of the time. It uses a little more under load (just enough to need the second PCIE power connector), but performs a little better too, AND supports PhysX (if that matters). It does not run hot (I think mine's around 65C). Only get the HD5770 if you need to run three monitors, or plan to Crossfire in the future; but in that case see if you can afford a HD6850 instead.

plastichairball

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
There's no real difference between the two. Both are great cards for their price point. In some games the GTS 450 outperforms the 5770, and vice versa.

The 5770 at stock marginally beats the 450, but the 450 is out of the box immensely overclockable to unleash it's true potential. There are some amazing 450s being produced at the moment.

Taking that all into account, it's much of a muchness. You'll get similar performances with both cards, so go for whichever is cheapest.

w33dg0d

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
I have a 5770 personally myself and from previously upgrading from an nvidia 7xxx series i would not consider going back.

The 450 is a nice card i do agree but the selling point of a card should not be that it is overclockable but that how it performs, this is where the 5770 is better than the 450 ~ performance.

Its all down to personal preferance, but the selling point of a card should never be how well it can be overclocked after purchase.

plastichairball

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010

Well, yes and no.

There are some cards out there such as the GTX 470 which, with some tweaking, can show similar performance to its big brother the GTX 480. Is buying a card with its overclockability in mind a valid criteria? Yes indeed it is! If it's possible to get equal bang for less buck, then only the non-value conscious are going to scorn that.

In addition, one needs to take into account the fact that the 450 is a crippled card. Nvidia released it WAY BELOW what it's capable of. The reason I say this is having done some fair research online I discovered that everyone could basically pull their card up to a very respectable performance level right out of the box with an OC on air. Basically, if all cards manufactured can be taken up to a high OC that is universally stable, then that feels more like it's "true" stock frequencies.

All 450 owners can bring their cards up from 783 Mhz to at least 900 Mhz, from there onwards it's the normal procedure for OCing a card.

Now I'm not as well versed with regards to the 5770, but I do know that from benchmarks the 450 performs about the same as a 5770. Maybe it takes a frame or two here, maybe it gives them here or there.

Bottom line, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the 450 is BETTER than the 5770, I'm just saying they're roughly equal. People can rant about how the 5770 beat the 450 by 2 FPS in game X at Y settings, but really? 2 FPS? Would that actually be noticeable in a real world context? Really?

Agreed the 450 and 460 are exceptional overclockers and this is down to Nvidia clocking the cards so low in the first place. To not take this Overclocking into account would be pretty silly if you ask me.
I don't understand why normally intelligent people cant get their heads around the concept that here we have a brace off cards to which the normal rules don't really apply.
People seem quite happy to buy a 2 core or 3 core AMD chip and take the chance that they can unlock one or more cores if they get lucky. Some models have better chances than others, but none have the almost guaranteed ability to move into a different performance segment out of the box like these GPU's from nvidia can. Yet its a selling point for the CPU's while apparently this latent overclcoking ability isnt ??
Come on people you may not like it but thats how it is.

Mactronix :)

The HD5770 should beat the GTS450; the GTX460 is the comparable nVidia card.
I would choose a 1GB GTX460. It uses less power at idle than the HD5770, where you'll be much of the time. It uses a little more under load (just enough to need the second PCIE power connector), but performs a little better too, AND supports PhysX (if that matters). It does not run hot (I think mine's around 65C). Only get the HD5770 if you need to run three monitors, or plan to Crossfire in the future; but in that case see if you can afford a HD6850 instead.

Solution

hitec16

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Well i thought a lot about it and fianlly decided to get a GTX 460 768MB version as 1GB version is out of my budget and i dont want to spend too much on GPU as i have to buy a new cabinet, PSU and CPU aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.