"Reboot and Select Proper boot device" Error. HDD or MB Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam85

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Hello,
I read the other threads on this topic, but I had already tried most of the recommended fixes, so I thought I would post a more in depth description of my personal issue. I built my own PC recently, and after a few weeks I started getting a message at boot telling me that my boot media was not detected. I checked BIOS, and it was not recognizing the HDD. I switched which SATA input I was using on my motherboard and switched the BIOS to boot from the appropriate new SATA input first. This solved the issue for one boot, but then I received the boot media detection error again. I went through the same process once more (switched SATA input and BIOS) to get it running, but I'm still having this issue. The computer operates totally normally when I have it running, the only issue is at start up.
I'm considering requesting a replacement of the parts, but I'm not sure what's really malfunctioning. Does this sound like an issue with the motherboard, or with the hard drive, or something else all together? Also, if anyone is familiar with this problem I would really appreciate any input.

The System:
HDD: Seagate 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-6G
MB:MSI H61M-P23 B3 Intel H61 Socket LGA1155 MB
CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1Ghz LGA1155 CPU
RAM: 2x Patriot Gamer 2 4GB DDR3 PC10666 1333MHz
GPU: MSI GeForce GT 520 1GB GDDR3 PCIe w/DVI & VGA
CD/DVD: Sony Optiarc 24X DVDRW SATA OEM
PSU: 450W built in with case

If you need any more information, let me know, and thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

Solution
Often if the BIOS has the SATA -> AHCI you'll have this problem, the simplest is the run 'Fix it' and have it correct the Start values. BIOS -> AHCI <=> Start = 0 and BIOS -> IDE <=> Start = 3.

Fix It -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Registry values affected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV

Example of 'BIOS -> AHCI <=> Start = 0'
AHCI_Start_0.jpg
Often if the BIOS has the SATA -> AHCI you'll have this problem, the simplest is the run 'Fix it' and have it correct the Start values. BIOS -> AHCI <=> Start = 0 and BIOS -> IDE <=> Start = 3.

Fix It -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Registry values affected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV

Example of 'BIOS -> AHCI <=> Start = 0'
AHCI_Start_0.jpg

Solution

heres2life

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
I had this same issue after i added 2 more hdd's. The fix startup did not work. I did try unplugging all disks except the boot disk then it worked. I then plugged them back in one by one until i found one drive was causing the problem. The drive worked before i added the others so im still working on that one. Plug it in, no good. Pull it out, everything is great. We'll see tomorrow.

Sam85

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Hey guys,

Sorry for taking so long to respond, but I tried the solution suggested in the first response of this thread (by jaquith), and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the help.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.