Sign in with
Your question

Cannot get IP address or cannot get internet connection

Last response: in Networking
July 3, 2010 8:31:13 PM

I have a wired LAN connection to a router and then to cable modem. Worked for years and then one day, it stopped working. The LAN connection is there, but I cannot get an IP address in automatic. When I put a known IP address in, all seems to be fine - except that I cannot connect to the internet. I tried many things, but with no luck. I wonder if it is my on-board NIC or just some fluky corruption of windows. What do you think?
July 3, 2010 10:03:42 PM

mprosss said:
I have a wired LAN connection to a router and then to cable modem. Worked for years and then one day, it stopped working. The LAN connection is there, but I cannot get an IP address in automatic. When I put a known IP address in, all seems to be fine - except that I cannot connect to the internet. I tried many things, but with no luck. I wonder if it is my on-board NIC or just some fluky corruption of windows. What do you think?

More information: Died either the 26th or 27th of June - not sure if there was some update those days; Windows XP SP3; on-board LAN is Marvel Yukon; yes, I update the driver; yes, I did a netsh winsock reset; yes, I turned modem, router and computer off/on many times; and I plugged my laptop to the router and it did connect, although at 10 rather than 100mbps.

What more can I try?
m
l
Anonymous
July 3, 2010 10:23:36 PM

As they're pretty cheap, I'd add a new Network Adapter (NIC). Two can coexist so don't worry about the onboard connector.
m
l
July 3, 2010 11:08:03 PM

I am just wondering if any software (updated) on the computer could have caused this problem. Yes, the NIC hardware could be the culprit. I don't think that the router is the problem, although I am confused as to why my laptop only connected at 10mbps.
m
l
!