Exotic Tech descriptions

Most of the Exotic Techs are obvious in their effect.

Some, however, do need instruction.

Borlox Armor is one.

What does Borlox Armor do?
How fast does it "grow" the armor?

Never mind. I ran a couple test turns.

20% of a ships maximum armor is created every turn.

So 5 turns will fully armor a naked ship.

I was considering whether Borlox was worth the cost when a possible
exploit occurred to me.

It isn't game breaking, as it takes time and ties up resources and its
"only" armor, but you could build up an impressive stockpile of armor
using no metal and for less MC (potentially much less) than armor
usually costs.

It requires a Hull with hull_cost<max_armor. Most races have at least
one; the Small Transport (not SDSF), for example. The Lizards have the
most impressive ratio with it's T-Rex at 450MC/5500Armor. I'll use the
T-Rex for my example.

Investment Costs
25,000MC Borlox Armor start-up
20,000MC Boxlox maintenance for next 4 turns.
For 10 T-Rex Hulls:
4,500MC (450MC per)
3,000 Duranium (300 per)*
3,300 Tritanium (330 per)*
500 Molybdenum(50 per)*

So 49,500 MC over 5 turns (The Hulls may need to be built the turn
before the Borlox activation).

After the Hulls grow a full coat of Armor, recycle them.

Each Hull drops 5,500 Armor, for a total of 55,500 Armor.

Not too much cheaper than you would have paid for the armor anyway, but
no Duranium is used up.

Three additions....

1. If you doubled the number of T-Rex Hulls (only a 10% cost increase +
metals*), your armor output also doubles, giving a cost of 54,000MC for
110,000 armor, almost halving the cost. Additional T-Rex Hulls give
additional savings.

2. Additional batches after the initial run get a 20,000MC discount, as
the start-up cost for Borlox has already been paid.

3. The T-Rex, AFAIK, has by far the largest max_armor/hull_cost ratio.
Other ships would require a larger number of Hulls and a larger initial
outlay of MC (possibly metals* as well). And, of course, some races
don't posses a native hull with the required hull_cost<max_armor.

*The metal used in the construction of the Hulls is not lost, only
"tied up". It is regained upon recycling the Hulls.

I like the peeps' defiance for this. Hull cost 20 w/ 150 armor. But I
don't really care about mass producing armor... I just leave the borlox
turned on....

and yes the turn they are built they do recieve the armor boost....

Amaranthine wrote:
> I was considering whether Borlox was worth the cost when a possible
> exploit occurred to me.
>
> It isn't game breaking, as it takes time and ties up resources and
its
> "only" armor, but you could build up an impressive stockpile of armor
> using no metal and for less MC (potentially much less) than armor
> usually costs.
>
> It requires a Hull with hull_cost<max_armor. Most races have at
least
> one; the Small Transport (not SDSF), for example. The Lizards have
the
> most impressive ratio with it's T-Rex at 450MC/5500Armor. I'll use
the
> T-Rex for my example.
>
> Investment Costs
> 25,000MC Borlox Armor start-up
> 20,000MC Boxlox maintenance for next 4 turns.
> For 10 T-Rex Hulls:
> 4,500MC (450MC per)
> 3,000 Duranium (300 per)*
> 3,300 Tritanium (330 per)*
> 500 Molybdenum(50 per)*
>
> So 49,500 MC over 5 turns (The Hulls may need to be built the turn
> before the Borlox activation).
>
> After the Hulls grow a full coat of Armor, recycle them.
>
> Each Hull drops 5,500 Armor, for a total of 55,500 Armor.
>
> Not too much cheaper than you would have paid for the armor anyway,
but
> no Duranium is used up.
>
> Three additions....
>
> 1. If you doubled the number of T-Rex Hulls (only a 10% cost increase
+
> metals*), your armor output also doubles, giving a cost of 54,000MC
for
> 110,000 armor, almost halving the cost. Additional T-Rex Hulls give
> additional savings.
>
> 2. Additional batches after the initial run get a 20,000MC discount,
as
> the start-up cost for Borlox has already been paid.
>
> 3. The T-Rex, AFAIK, has by far the largest max_armor/hull_cost
ratio.
> Other ships would require a larger number of Hulls and a larger
initial
> outlay of MC (possibly metals* as well). And, of course, some races
> don't posses a native hull with the required hull_cost<max_armor.
>
> *The metal used in the construction of the Hulls is not lost, only
> "tied up". It is regained upon recycling the Hulls.

Hmmm but this calculation is only for races without alchemy? I mean: In
normal v4 games i lack money instead of minerals! If i ever haven't enough
minerals, i start alchemy and transform money into minerals (over
factories->supplies->alchemy)

I would normally do the different way to save money by repairing the armor
as long as the ship has enough repair unit space on board!

Mydgard