Old Vaio N505 - installing Windows XP?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
March 18, 2005 6:07:51 PM

Hi

I've got an old Sony Vaio N505SN - 400MHz PII, 128MB ram, Windows 98.

I need to install XP because some other software I need requires it.

My question is, would I have any problems if I installed Windows XP? I
realise Sony don't supply new drivers for the battery scope and
hotkeys, etc. but I can live without those. My battery died a long
time ago anyway. What I want to know is whether this is a safe thing
to attempt.

Thanks
March 19, 2005 3:00:08 AM

Go to the Microsoft link below and download the upgrade adviser and run it:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/check...

"Tim" <gg@cat-man.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
Hi

I've got an old Sony Vaio N505SN - 400MHz PII, 128MB ram, Windows 98.

I need to install XP because some other software I need requires it.

My question is, would I have any problems if I installed Windows XP? I
realise Sony don't supply new drivers for the battery scope and
hotkeys, etc. but I can live without those. My battery died a long
time ago anyway. What I want to know is whether this is a safe thing
to attempt.

Thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 19, 2005 3:00:44 AM

Tim <gg@cat-man.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've got an old Sony Vaio N505SN - 400MHz PII, 128MB ram, Windows 98.
>
> I need to install XP because some other software I need requires it.
>
> My question is, would I have any problems if I installed Windows XP? I
> realise Sony don't supply new drivers for the battery scope and
> hotkeys, etc. but I can live without those. My battery died a long
> time ago anyway. What I want to know is whether this is a safe thing
> to attempt.
>
> Thanks

You should be fine, except for the things you mentioned that might
take specific drivers. You might consider upping the RAM if possible.
I've got an old Compaq Presario 1672 w/ K6-2+ 450MHz and 192MB (max for
this laptop), and XP Pro runs reasonably well on it. With an old, slow
laptop HD you want to do everything you can to keep the Virtual Memory
from swapping to the hard drive.

Also, I'd go for a fresh install (wipe the hard drive).
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 31, 2005 12:44:46 AM

Hello, please excuse the late answer, maybe it helps others!

> My question is, would I have any problems if I installed Windows XP? I
> realise Sony don't supply new drivers for the battery scope and
> hotkeys, etc. but I can live without those. My battery died a long
> time ago anyway. What I want to know is whether this is a safe thing
> to attempt.

It is safe, I did that twice already, only thing you have to have is
1) do the windows-2000 bios-update and activate the function
"plug-and-play OS" in the BIOS
2) have PATIENCE ;)

WindowsXP makes the notebook sluggish and slow. If you can, go for
windows 2000, it performs better, just starts slower.
The only thing that I really love in windows XP is "ClearType", it makes
the screen look razor-sharp, I really miss this in windows 2000.

As for drivers: You can use the windows 2000 drivers and applications
for windows xp, they will all work EXCEPT the ALPS-Touchpad-driver, it
will break the standby and wake up the laptop every 5 minutes.

anything special you want to know? email me on the reply-to address.

andreas
!