Computer not as fast as I thought it would be

bergz22

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
The slowest part is writing to the hard disk, i.e. installing a game or program. Booting windows is ok, not super fast but slow either. Booting games is ok, as well as booting applications. Just over the general performance seems mediocre, not what I thought it would be.

Specs:

Windows 7 64 bit
Asus Crosshair VI formula
AMD Phenom II X4 955 at 3.68 Ghz
8G installed memory (and recognized)
Samsung HD 103SJ ATA 1TB

If you need any more information let me know. Thanks.

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
When you run ATTO on C:, what do you get?

(1) use PartitionWizard to shrink your C: partition down
to 30-50 GB: this will result in "short-stroking" your
primary system partition:

http://www.supremelaw.org/systems/io.tests/platter.transfer.crossover.graphs.2.jpg

(2) make sure you have defragged C: at least once,
and maybe again after running Windows Update;
PartitionWizard will write files onto sequential sectors,
so shrinking C: will do that task automatically;

(3) another good optimization is to run PageDefrag:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897426

... or to move the swap file to a second HDD, and
force that swap file to be perfectly contiguous,
using Contig:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897428

(4) consider installing a ramdisk and moving your browser cache(s)
to that ramdisk e.g. using RamDisk Plus from SuperSpeed LLC:

http://www.superspeed.com/desktop/ramdisk.php

http://www.supremelaw.org/systems/superspeed/RamDiskPlus.Review.htm

http://www.supremelaw.org/systems/superspeed/raw.read.Corsair.PC2-8500.Paul15.jpg

Just some ideas for you to consider. :)

MRFS

That computer should be fast. Games take 15 minutes to install nowadays though--they're writing 8GBs more more. How fast did these games install on other computers? If the computer's only slow at it's Hard Drive, that sounds correct. CPU and RAM have gotten 10x faster in the last 7 years, but hard drives have only doubled in speed. How are your benchmarks on video conversion? That and gaming are where a new computer should do well.

cyrus40540057

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
I think you're missing the obvious here, that's a 5400rpm hard drive! If you want to have decent install speeds, get a 7200rpm drive. Maybe keep that one for storage, get a smaller fast drive for system and games. Look into a 640GB WD Caviar Black, they're cheap and fast. You should seriously consider going SSD for your system drive though. Any self respecting new gaming computer should have an SSD system drive, a quick game drive and a storage drive or RAID.

cyrus40540057

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
also ... are you installing from actual DVDs or from disc images? If you install from a disc image that is on the same drive you are installing to, it will take forever to install a large game on a 5400rpm drive.

bergz22

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Please keep in mind I am not a computer expert, but I am learning every day :)

-----What are your Windows Experience Index WEI scores for each component?

I am not on the computer right now, I will get those for you as soon as I can. I looked at them the other day and if I remember right everything was around 7.2 to 7.9......but one thing was at 5.9 and I think it was the hard drive......I'm not 100% sure.

-----just a thought but you might want to consider getting a SSD for your boot drive.

I thought about it during the build, but the price pushed me away.

-----make sure you have defragged C: at least once, and maybe again after running Windows Update; PartitionWizard will write files onto sequential sectors, so shrinking C: will do that task automatically;

I have not defragged the drive at all, not once since I first fired it up, and have already installed a couple service packs for windows 7. I will give this a try and see if it helps. Do you guys recommend the windows defrag tool or an aftermarket as best? As far as your other suggestions and ATTO I am not 100% sure what you mean.

----Games take 15 minutes to install nowadays though
I have installed Medal of Honor Limited edition, took 30 min or more, civ 5, 45 min, cod black ops at least 30 min or more.

I could have sworn I bought a 7200 rpm drive, I may be mistaken. I am installing from actual store bought cd's. I'm assuming dvd's.

bergz22

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Also, cd drives. I do believe i was installing with the CD in the blue ray burner drive.

LG Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD Burner - Bulk LightScribe Support - OEM

LG WH10LS30 10X Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Support - Bulk - OEM

bergz22

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Well I went to windows defragmenter, and it has been running already. It is set to go automatically and ran on 2/09/11. According to it drive C: is 0% defragmented.

Also, the WEI scores:

Processor 7.3
Memory 7.5
Graphics 7.8
Gaming Graphics 7.8
Hard disk 5.9

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
The HDD is dragging you down but, it's to be expected as they say you can't really score any higher with a HDD.
An SSD will get you into the 7's easily. Not that the WEI matters.....
An SSD uses TRIM rather than defrag. & should be recognized by windows where it will turn off the defrag. option for that drive.

My system takes longer to post than it does to boot into windows.

Leif2006

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
My scores as about the same as yours and the only difference is I have an i7 950, and 12 gigs of ram... (fyi im Really not seeing any boost from the four extra gigs of ram) Same optical drive and disk drive though, My downloads are pretty slow as well... I think medal of honor toon around 25 min. All I can tell u is you can speed it up a little bit by making sure you have achi set in the bios and that nothing is in pio. Also make sure all your windows tasks you can live without are set to a time you wouldn't be on the disk. And in the mean Save for that SSS cuz that's the only way were gnna see w7 fly.

Need is such a slippery word.
You don't actually need a SSD. It looks like your system's parts are working to spec. The HDD score is right about where you expect it to be. The DVD drive isn't measured in WEI but there are test suites that can check that out too.

Passmark PerformanceTest 7.0 you can download and evaluate it for 30days without having the purchase the program.

mary221

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
My opinion:

1) disable as much application at bootup
2) scan with several antiviruses (not installed in the some time)

You also might have a program that requires resources...maybe a antivirus monitor that needs 30% of your processor ?