Cannot install ANY drivers

gmonster

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I have a Nvidia Geoforce 8800GT 512MB eVGA card.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I was running the 258 drivers fine, so I went to upgrade to the 260.99 drivers...didn't install, I tried safe mode, used Driver Sweeper, tried to revert back to the 258 drivers...even tried having Windows Update install the drivers. NOTHING works! When I try Windows Update says Nvidia Geofroce 8800 GT drivers cannot be installed. When I try with Nvidia's drivers just fails.

Any idea? Is my Mobo slot broken? I have an Asus p5q and it only has 1 AGP slot, I removed it and put the card back in...nothing.

It have something to do with my permissions?

gmonster

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
it's a PCI-E card

I don't have another card.....I am planning on getting a GTX 460 soon anyway...need an upgrade

if I did short it...how am I able to still use it currently? Though in device manager just says VGA compatible display device

gmonster

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
didn't do a BIOS update...don't want to screw around with my mobo's bios, though it is up to date.

I did driver sweeper many times, even tried in safe mode too. Neither nvidia install package nor windows updates for the VGA work. Just stays as VGA Compatible device. Windows update recognizes it as a 8800 GT but says error cannot install driver please contact manufacturer. When I get my gtx 460...if the drivers won't install on that then I know it's a software problem, I'll reformat if that's the case and if still doesn't work then it's a mobo problem...which I'm hoping it's not.

edit: yeh it's PCI-E I typed AGP in original post by accident

Have you tried it in another computer? It could be OS related. If something happened during the uninstall that wasn't supposed to, its possible that even Driver Sweeper won't be able to straighten it out.

I am hesitant to suggest an OS re-install right off the bat if you have another computer to try the card in. If the card works in another system, then you will either have to put some more research into what went wrong with the uninstall, or at that point do an OS re-install.

It's seems highly coincidental that the card failed after what amounts to a driver update. If you had been moving your computer around or removed and re-installed the card, then I could wrap my head around the idea that the card was damaged. I wouldn't give up on it so quickly.