trevor011

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Hi everyone, I need help regarding the PSU choice. I have several choices, i'm looking for a reliable psu that will last for about five or more years.. will play fps games mostly..

here's my current rig phenom ii x2 555 @3.2 (planning to unlock 2 more cores), CM hyper 212+, 2x2gb gskill ripjaws X 1333 cl8, 500gb hitachi 5400rpm sata (planning to add 1TB WD Caviar blue 7200rpm), 24x samsung optical drive, 18.5 AOC wide lcd. sapphire hd 5770 vapor x.. system is currently on my old generic 600w psu which is buzzing like a chainsaw, probably due to temps in our country (tropical country, temps reach up to 30C). TT V4 black case, will install 2x a2368 hi perf 120mm fans and 2x 120mm LED fans..

here's my choices:
OCZ 500w ModXStream Pro (Modular) 80plus
Seasonic M12II-500 500w modular 80+ (i've read that this is the modular version of the S12II ???)
FSP AURUM Gold 500w (gold rating, it has very good specs., just not sure of the quality)

actually, i was looking into corsair tx650w, but it's way beyond my budget right now.

Pls don't suggest other brands or models aside the from the one's stated above. These are the only quality psu's available at our local store at this time..

tnx, will appreciate any inputs i could get.. :)

Solution
From your mentioned units, the Seasonic unit will get unanimously approved.. But i'll be tempted to spend a bit more and get the Corsair.. After all, you want the poweg supply to stay for sometime.. Corsair's extra warranty and higher wattage will help you do that more better.. But if you cannot afford anything extra, try looking out for a Corsair VX 450/550.. They are awesome too..

Device Unknown

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

trevor011

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
@device unknown, it's a good review.. tnx for the heads up. Actually, I am a little concerned to the quality of this brand since the Aurum Gold is new to the market, however FSP has several PSU units sold all over Asia, and most are good while some may not be good. As for Seasonic, we'll they've been in the business long enough and have a reputation for developing quality PSU around the world. Also, they are of the same price. I'm hoping to hear more, since reviews stated that Seasonics M12II unit has issues with the mobo cable, cable is shorter than usual for bottom mounted PSU's.

@amd655 ; yes, I agree that the corsair tx650 is indeed an excellent choice, but it's beyond my budget. It's around $120US here in our place, looking for $80US PSU's.

tnx for the inputs guys..

hoping to hear for more...

From your mentioned units, the Seasonic unit will get unanimously approved.. But i'll be tempted to spend a bit more and get the Corsair.. After all, you want the poweg supply to stay for sometime.. Corsair's extra warranty and higher wattage will help you do that more better.. But if you cannot afford anything extra, try looking out for a Corsair VX 450/550.. They are awesome too..

Solution

trevor011

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

tnx bro, i think i'll save up for the tx650 from corsair. I'll have to hold back my purchase for another month or two.. tnx for the inputs..