First Post, First Gaming Build

Orangekayak

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: (ASAP)

Budget Range: ($600-$800, but for a good deal I can fudge a bit!)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (Multimedia, Video, Gaming, Photos)

Parts Not Required: (I think I need everything)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (newegg.com)

Country of Origin: (USA)

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (None)

Overclocking: Nah

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe? Do I need it? :)

Monitor Resolution: (More the better, right?)

Additional Comments: I haven't built a computer in years, but now I am all grown up, and it's cool to have a desktop again. I'm sick of the Dell pre-built systems with poor components, so I wanted to build a PC that may run Diablo 3 in the future, play back some 1080p video at a decent framerate, and run basic photoshop stuff. I'm not a hardcore user, but the faster the better for the price.

The Sandybridge questions now leave me unsure of what to do. I've been reading the site furiously, but still don't feel confident making my own selections without help. I'm scared to get a bad power supply, petrified of the thing not booting, but you guys instill confidence in me to try this. Thanks for the help!

Should be no difference in the build experience or techniques required.
The 'Eco' versions of PSUs come without a AC power cord so you'll need to recycle one you already have or pick one up locally if you don't order one online.

And it's OK to pick and choose from either list.
The parts are interchangeable.

Orangekayak

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Thanks again for all the help. You guys are amazing! I'm more scared about putting the thing together, but I think I am off to a good start. Should I opt for the more expensive processor?

seller417

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
i like the build cha0ss0ldier posted....very similar to one i am considering. only i want to include a SSD, aftermarket heat sink, and i am going with a 560 ti.

if you are going to OC you may want to invest in a quality heatsink and thermal paste