Sign in with
Your question

Power on button compatablity?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 11, 2012 11:04:51 PM

I bought a ASUS P8Z68-M Pro LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS today and i hooked everything up the power came on the board and all but when i went to put in the power button into the motherboard from my case i found out i had a 10 pin connector with one pin blocked off and asus wants a 2 pin connector? is my HP case not compatable just because of a power connector? Anything i can do to turn on the computer without that button or will that 9 pin work with the motherboard and im being stupid? Please help i spent alot of money to be wasted.
a c 143 V Motherboard
January 11, 2012 11:34:01 PM

look at page 1-33 in manual the show you all the front panel connector and compare to your case connector
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 12, 2012 3:38:31 AM

What is the model number of the original HP computer? How old is it? Do you know the Model number of the original HP motherboard?

Just based on what you have said I suspect one of two things. Either you are misunderstanding which cable is the system panel connection, or you have an older case that uses a non standard system panel connection. Regardless, more info is needed to help you troubleshoot the problem.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 12, 2012 4:21:44 AM

I am betting the front panel block of connectors is proprietary to the HP case and OEM motherboard. You *can* make it work but, that may be a bit beyond the capacity of you...

Find the power swtich and see what color the leads(wires) are. Trace them to the header block and see if you can semi-easily fit that power switch lead/header to the motherboard P+ header (Power On)

Or...just use a paperclip. Again, may be beyond the...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 12, 2012 11:18:35 AM

bottlez14 said:
I bought a ASUS P8Z68-M Pro LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS today and i hooked everything up the power came on the board and all but when i went to put in the power button into the motherboard from my case i found out i had a 10 pin connector with one pin blocked off and asus wants a 2 pin connector? is my HP case not compatable just because of a power connector? Anything i can do to turn on the computer without that button or will that 9 pin work with the motherboard and im being stupid? Please help i spent alot of money to be wasted.

Pinout for an oem machine typically looks like this, without the reset switch ( pins 5 and 9 are usually jumped instead ) backtrace the wires and make sure it's a match

You can pull the pins from the HP connector

See the small plastic tab ? ( Kinda hard , sorry )
Use a pin ( I use a compass point ) to gently pry up on the tab and pull the pin ( unless you don't care about saving the connector, then just bust em off )
Then connect each pin to the corresponding spot on the MB header, polarity doesn't matter to the switch, does to the leds
Some people are afraid they might short something, I've used hot glue to secure and isolate the pins.
m
l
!