Sign in with
Your question

How do I install a side fan?

Last response: in Components
May 9, 2011 1:54:53 PM

I have an Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 case with which I purchased an additional 120mm TriCool fan to go on the side panel, but I cannot figure out how to mount it.

Also, the top rear fan seems to be scraping against the inner wall. Is there any way I can fix this, besides cutting away at the case?

More about : install side fan

a b ) Power supply
May 9, 2011 2:01:12 PM

According to review sites, that case only supports 3 x front 120mm fans, 2 x rear 120mm fans mounts, 2 x 140mm roof fans.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 9, 2011 2:21:21 PM

You should see the mounting holes drilled into the side window along with the slots the air will be pulled through. If there aren't any mounting holes, then you have a defective side window.

And for the rear fan, loosen the screws a bit to see if that spaces the fan far enough away from the case wall.
m
l
May 9, 2011 2:22:54 PM

I see the mounting holes, two clear plastic, two opaque. But I don't know how it's meant to be secured. Those only screws I have are those that came with the case and I'm not sure how it all fits together.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 9, 2011 2:26:29 PM

If the normal screws that came with the fan aren't long enough, then the case should have come with longer screws that will screw through the holes in the window. I'd guess that the case manual would have a list of the different screws included and what they are for -- my Cooler Master case manual did.
m
l
May 9, 2011 2:40:41 PM

The case manual just showed me how to mount an SSD and where to put the USB 3.0 cable. The fan's online manual is just a list of features.

I only have two long screws (about 3/4 inch) that I assumed would fit, but all of the holes seems smooth, not screwed.

As another note, do I have to connect the power cables that the fans are plugged in into the fan headers on the motherboard, or can I just leave them free? I read that it's not necessary, and they were all working fine with full speed control.
m
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
May 9, 2011 3:01:21 PM

You don't use screws on Antec side fan mounts,the fan clips in place.
Try sliding it in on one side and then press down on the other.
Included case fans are prewired other then using molex to chain them.
Your optional side fan may have 3/4 pin only or molex adapter included.
If it's 3/4 pin only plug it into a mobo chassis fan header.
m
l
May 9, 2011 3:20:28 PM

davcon said:
You don't use screws on Antec side fan mounts,the fan clips in place.
Try sliding it in on one side and then press down on the other.
Included case fans are prewired other then using molex to chain them.
Your optional side fan may have 3/4 pin only or molex adapter included.
If it's 3/4 pin only plug it into a mobo chassis fan header.

What do you mean by sliding it in? There's no way I can just clip it on. It is just meant to attach to the inside surface right?

What I meant by the power cable is that the cable that comes out of the PSU has four molex plugs daisy-chained together with a 4 pin plug at the end. What I want to know is if I need to plug that into the motherboard as well or is it enough to just leave the molex connectors plugged in.
m
l
May 9, 2011 3:23:29 PM

HEXiT said:
not in this case davcon. there is no plastic mount only holes for screws.
http://www.vortez.net/contentteller.php?ct=articles&act...
if you look at this image the tall screw in the middle is the fan screw.

That's what I figured, but I don't know how to put it in. If I place the fan on, the only place to put the screws are in the two opaque plastic plugs, which would require me to force it into the smooth hole of the fan in order to get the screwed part in.
m
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
May 9, 2011 4:14:54 PM

AusQB said:
That's what I figured, but I don't know how to put it in. If I place the fan on, the only place to put the screws are in the two opaque plastic plugs, which would require me to force it into the smooth hole of the fan in order to get the screwed part in.

Ok i just watched a DF-85 vid.
I would screw in the fan from the front.
Got an extra Tri-cool in my 902 molex only.
Have one in a CM690II used the 3pin.

m
l
May 9, 2011 4:50:47 PM

davcon said:
I would screw in the fan from the front.

Could you elaborate on that?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 9, 2011 5:25:46 PM

AusQB said:

no need to force it just line up the screw and screw it into the plastic plug then hold the fan up and screw into that.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
May 9, 2011 5:35:41 PM

New to this thread, and possibly a touch late hehe

get side panel off pc
line up fan on inside face minding the direction of airflow (I'd suggest intaking to the case,curly side of blades out)
screw from outside case through panel into fan, screw should grip into the holes at the corner of the fan so dont overtighten
plug into available molex line
put panel back on pc
done
Moto
m
l
May 9, 2011 5:36:22 PM

HEXiT said:
no need to force it just line up the screw and screw it into the plastic plug then hold the fan up and screw into that.

But is it normal to have to screw into a smooth hole? That's the only way it's going to go in.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
May 9, 2011 5:42:56 PM

yes, until you make the groove using a screw, the hole in the panel and fan will be un threaded
Edit** you probably wont even touch the holes in the panel**

Moto
m
l
May 9, 2011 5:44:04 PM

Ok, just wanted to make sure that that's what I was supposed to do.
m
l
May 9, 2011 6:09:33 PM

Any thoughts on the top fan scraping?
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
May 9, 2011 6:11:51 PM

Take it off,
put a 2-3mm spacer on each screw INSIDE the case, should give you a little more clearance.

Moto
m
l
!