I NEED A AMD3+ LOVER/EXPERT

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkm2

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
HELLO!!!!

Im new here and this forum has caught my eye more than once to help me create "my" perfect build. My question to the community is about the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+.

My plan is to build a scorpius platform gaming PC. I have been looking at the AMD FX 8120 to go along with a Sabertooth 990FX AM3+. After a lot of research I came to the conclusion that there is no way to get around flashing the BIOS without having a compatible CPU.

I do not want to take a gamble of ordering all of my computer parts then the stock BIOS of the mobo is below the one to run my FX 8120.

My question to you really is, if I buy a AMD sempron 140 (I believe) just for the fact of updating the BIOS, will it WORK?

I understand it says that the sempron 140 is compatible with the stock BIOS of the ASUS mobo, But I just want to make sure it will work with my other components, let me boot up, install windows 7 then let me flash that sucker.

I have been waiting for 3 months to gather the funds for this rig and I really just dont want to get everything and not be disappointed. If anyone could help i would be most appreciative.

THANKS!!!

Solution
As long as you buy the board from a place that sells the boards in bulk (Like newegg) the likeliness of you getting a board with that old of a BIOS is unlikely. Anyways yes that processor will have no issues installing windows 7 and running any of your hardware it will just be really slow. I would recommend buying the parts and seeing if it boots using the FX8120 first.
Dec 2, 2011

Nope, early versions needed to be flashed due to AMD making last minute changes. As other have stated though, most have been worked through the supply chain (at least at higher volume retailers).

caqde

Distinguished
As long as you buy the board from a place that sells the boards in bulk (Like newegg) the likeliness of you getting a board with that old of a BIOS is unlikely. Anyways yes that processor will have no issues installing windows 7 and running any of your hardware it will just be really slow. I would recommend buying the parts and seeing if it boots using the FX8120 first.

Solution
Dec 2, 2011

↑ +1

dkm2

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
The last feedback comment on the board was 1/5/12 that said they had to update there bios. I just dont feel that I have enough luck to get one that I dont have to. But if a sempron will work then I have no problem buying one. As for after, Ill just resell it on ebay or something. Thanks everyone! You have been very helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.