Build with a:
Gigabyte GA-P67-UD3
Intel i5 2500K (with stock cooler)
Corsair TX750W PSU
2x2GB Corsair 1600 MHz RAM
Gigabyte GTX 460
HD
DVD Drive

I built everything as it should be. Power button and the front case LED blinks once, and the PSU fan moves slightly (maybe half of a rotation). I figure something may be connected incorrectly or the mobo may be shorting, so I remove it from my case and place it on a piece of cardboard. Remove everything except one stick of RAM in the second slot. Connect 8 pin and 24 pin power connectors. CPU in, heatsink on. Connect the power button cable from the case, power on... Same problem, however now the PSU fan spins for a good second, as well as the CPU fan. A green light flashes on the motherboard for about a second, then turns off. This sequence does not loop.

It's worth noting that I had some struggles with the stock CPU cooler, after a while it did fit correctly however the thermal compound may have been smeared too much? I'm not sure how it works when it comes to this paste. I ensured there was none on/around the CPU's pins, etc. Looks fine to me.

I've reset the BIOS and shorted the CMOS, paperclip-tested the PSU, tried every different configuration of RAM, and so forth. I really haven't the foggiest what else could make this problem.

It's also worth nothing that someone suggested holding the motherboard by the heatsink, so it is in the air, to ensure there is no shorting. This DID get the motherboard to boot correctly (four lights, maybe? on the motherboard), until it started looping during the POST, stating the lack of video card. This only happened once and I've never got it to do the same thing again.

Thanks for putting up with my extensive post. I hope there's a solution for this. I really don't want it to be the motherboard, because Gigabyte will probably not be able to send me a replacement until the SATA fix for these chipsets is released... If this is the case, I'll probably just send my mobo in for replacement in the two or three months that it takes for these updated chipsets to be shipped.

sandybridge

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Don't worry about the TIM on the cooler's surface. It's fine as long as there's some on it. There's no way the TIM will get into the cpu pins unless you purposefully did it. Oh there's no pins on LGA1156/1155 cpus. They're in the sockets.

Double-check the cpu socket's pins. Look at 'em at & under different angles & lightings. One missing pin can be a problem.

Reset CMOS for a few hours with power cord unplugged. You got nothing to lose.

Try each ram stick in each slot. Your PSU may need a higher load. Hook up the HDD/DVD.

Intel will resume shipments of flawed chipsets.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/intels-fixed-chipsets-to-ship-as-early-as-next-week/44562

highentropy

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
I don't spy any missing pins. Unplugged cord and left the battery out for a few hours, no change...

Is is really possible for a PSU to not start without a minimum load? Still not getting a change...

Intel is resuming the shipments of the flawed chipsets only to PC manufacturers who aren't affected by SATA issue.

sandybridge

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
rma or return the mobo. yeah, i know it's bad timing cuz intel recalled H/P-67. I think you're running out of options. If you have a friend with LGA1156, try your parts in their build one by one. Other than cpu & mobo, of course.

highentropy

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
For any Googlers out there stumbling upon this thread...

It turns out, the CPU was bad. I'm not certain if it was an error on my fault, or if it was dead on arrival. I ended up being able to get it replaced. I'm posting from said machine now.

Thanks to anyone who helped.

erasmus22

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I am having the exact same issue with my first build. I have tried every test I have been able to find (including BIOS, CMOS, RAM, and even the paper-clip PSU test). I've checked the CPU and MOBO for any signs of damage, and I cannot find any. I tried booting with the Mobo on a piece of cardboard, with nothing but the ram (in many different configs.) and the CPU cooler attached (and the CPU, obvi).

What I was wondering is how you determined that it was a faulty CPU. If I am to return something to newegg for replacement, should it be the CPU or Mobo, or both. Is there a way to diagnose these? I have no other computer parts with which to substitute; I am currently using a laptop.

Thanks for any help or advice.

System Specs:

i5-2500k
Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA 1155
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
G.Skill Sniper Series (2x4GB)

erasmus22

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Also, the PSU is a:

RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply

But as I said I tried the paper-clip test and it ran fine.