Gaming Graphics

el_nadien

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Hello, How can i increase the amount of gaming graphics dedicated memory? I have 1918mb and only 256mb is dedicated. the rest is shared. i can't play counter strike: source like that. it gives me lag spikes. fps dont go higher then 30 and usually are between 15 or below 10 fps

el_nadien

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

This is my system info:

I have the following system. It should be more then enough to play counter strike: source as smooth as it can get. BUT I LAG. i can't join a map with more then 10 people because i get this 5 seconds lag spikes. fps stay below 30 all the time, usually they stay below 15 fps. i have tried reducing the amount of ram memory in use but nothing.

I also have an ATI Radeon 3100 graphics card. version: 8.634.1.0 with 1918 MB. only 256MB are dedicated the rest is shared. i tried to increase the dedicated amount by entering the BIOS and doing it manually, but i couldn't find the option to do it. I called Toshiba to ask them and they told me the system is suppose to do it automatically, but it doesn't. It stays the same when i open Counter Strike: source. I bought this laptop foolishly thinking it would give me a smooth CS:S gaming experience and after a year, it has not. I don't understand, i go beyond the system requirements. WTF!!!!

PS: i have a DirectX version 11. CS:S only requires DirectX Version 7

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SWENIO_18-PC
System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
System Model Satellite M505D
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-74, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V1.70, 12/25/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name swenio_18-PC\swenio_18
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.75 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.29 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.49 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.63 GB
Page File Space 3.75 GB

I'm not very familar with laptops but it looks like you have a 256mb card, the shared system memory doens't mean anything i have no idea why.So you have a 256mb card trying to run Windows 7 and CS:S and i don't think it will work very well, have you tryed lowering your graphics settings?
A little experiment:go to Office map and go into the Projector Room and see if your FPS increase's and is playable in that room.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
You CANNOT increase video card dedicated memory (The memory ON the Card).

At least to my knowledge :lol:

Video Card card memory doesn't equate to performance. It does when you run crazy rez and AA, but you need a card that has the horsepower to drive that. Dedicated is what is on the card, shared is taking from the system RAM (The normal computer RAM).