172T Quick Review

hingkit

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003
I brought home the 172T two days ago.
After using it this weekend I have decided to keep it.
I'm running it through the DVI port of a 8500. Ghosting is quite apparent on this unit. Draging windows around, even your mouse trails when you move it quickly on certain backgrounds. The WORSE is textscrolling. Slowly scrolling through webpages like www.hardocp.com the text and page blinks almost. On other webpages the text leaves a slight ghosting image behind. It is VERY VERY bright, I have brightness set to ZERO. Other than that htough everything is super sharp. I'm wondering though does the 16ms have trouble with text scrolling, I read many messages which I have started to conclude is that textscrolling is problems for LCD monitors????

-Hingkit

hingkit

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003
anyone?? Do the new 16ms or the hitachi unit have ghosting / streaking when you scroll down very slowly in a web browser????

Nasinem

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2003
Have you tried a better DVI cord? Like from MONSTER Cable? I posted a question about cords on this site and didn't get a response, so I started digging and found that high quality cabling can greatly increase the performance of, well, ANYTHING. The DVI cables are extremely expensive from Monster Cable, however, so I suggest this:

Buy one, and if it doesn't fix your problem, do the obvious - bring it back to the darn store :).

Here's a link:

http://www.monstercable.com/home_av/video_cables/HDTV.asp

kogo

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
It could be argued that cables make a difference in an analog situation, but with digital, you could get just as good performance out of a coathanger array. Cables won't fix the shortcomings of LCDs.