Forcing IRQs in WinXP?

G

I have an Asus A7V motherboard and I'm running WinXP.
Currently I have 8 different items using IRQ 9, one of which is my sound card. I'm trying to force WinXP to use IRQ 5 for my soundcard since that irq isn't being used at all and as far as I knoW IRQ 5 is supposed to be for soundcards.
I went into my BIOS setup screen and went to PCI configuration and choose PCI Slot 3 (which is where my soundcard is) to use IRQ 5 but that didn't work. WinXP still shows my soundcard using IRQ 9 when I check System Information.
There may be more steps needed other than BIOS Setup/PCI Configuration/Set PCI Slot to IRQ 5
If there's anything else I need to do pls let me know.

Regards

Jimmy Smith

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you don't have a conflict in the system, Jimmy ... leave it alone. As with Win2K, WinXP supports IRQ sharing for Plug and Play devices because of the ACPI. (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface.)

You should only change resource settings if you <i>must</i> have a specific setting for a device, as defined by the manufacturer, or if the device is non-Plug and Play, and must be manually configured ... or if you have a device conflict.

WinXP, by default, assigns a unique set of system resources for each device, even it shares an IRQ. If your sound card is working properly ... it is configured correctly.

This is one of the <i>advantages</i> of migrating to an OS like Win2K or WinXP.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

G

Thanks that's good advice.

Can anyone tell me how to do this anyways incase of a situation where I am having conflicts.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you can wade through it, there's a lot of information on this page:

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q237/5/56.ASP" target="_new">http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q237/5/56.ASP</A>

You will also need to disable ACPI in the BIOS, and have <i>all</i> the drivers for your system at hand.

You can see that it's one of those "last ditch effort" kind of things, when you have no other choice.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Having 8 different items using the same IRQ sounds like a lot to me, at least I haven't seen that many. I don't know if this will help you or not, because I use win98se. What I do is go to Devise manager, the item you want to change, Resources, Uncheck Use automatic setting, click ok, and close. If nothing happens uncheck and recheck, then ok, then close. Sometime' I have to do it a few times, but then it say's that there has been a change, restart. Works for me in Win98

defrage is child's play-fdisk

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
System resource management is different in Win2K, jiffy. You can't change the settings for the devices manually in the Device Manager, because of the ACPI, and the settings in the BIOS. In order to change the IRQ settings by hand, you have to switch the power/resource management back to the older APM (Standard PC), and that can cause the system to be unstable. You really shouldn't try it unless you select this option manually during the OS installation, <i>and</i> you are prepared to deal with the consequences.

In Win98SE, IRQ sharing is much more limited, and can be a major hassle.

But in Win2K, it's normal. For example, in my main machine, I have seven devices on IRQ 9 ... and no conflicts.

Extra Info:

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q252/4/20.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=Creative%20PC-DVD&rnk=61&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=WIN2000" target="_new">http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q252/4/20.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=Creative%20PC-DVD&rnk=61&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=WIN2000</A>

Check you later ...

Toejam31

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
With the A7V and A7V133 I HIGHLY recommend not messing with the XP settings for interrupt sharing. You should have ZERO conflicts using ACPI interrupt sharing! We played with it and disabled ACPI and miniport drivers and it didn't run NEARLY as smooth.

About a month ago, I had to give up my MSI K7-Master-S when a customer, "Had to have it today". As stock was at zero, I sold my mobo for 30% off and ran to the back room to find something old to use. Luckily, I found two boards an A7V rev. b and an A7V133 Rev. C. I opted for the A7V133 for the obvious reasons and started moving my stuff into it.

To give you an idea on just how bad things can be, let me tell you about my system.

I have a SB Live! Value, A VisionTek TNT2M64 with 32MB, 4-40GB, 7200RPM ATA-100 drives (Make sure you download the latest promise drivers from the Asus Germany website AFTER installing XP!!!!!!) An ATA-33 CD-ROM drive, an ATA-33 DMA CD-Burner, A Zip 250 drive, and a seagate Travan Drive all installed with no problems. To complicate matters, I have an Adaptec Ultra 160 SCSI controller hooked up to 4 IBM 18GB, 15K-RPM drives. I also have two DFE-550TX+ Network cards, a Modem Blaster PCI, two USB cameras and I got the one that absolutely positively won't work with XP (Ezonics USB 1 camera) running with no problems, a Umax Scanner and LexMark Z43.

This machine is also setup to be an Internet Host running IIS, VPN tunnelling and a web hosting setup to let anyone access the system or the system's web site via my IP address or dnsalias.com addresses. Of course, I also have Remote Desktop enabled, so this same address will let you login to XP as if you were sitting at my desk.

In other words, I am using every slot, I have two drives that won't fit in my Q500 case (well, they sit on the bottom of the case without being screwed in anyway) and I've got more toys plugged in than Tracy Lords has stashed under her bed. I've got more interrupt shares than Bill Gates has friends and I can't emphasize enough how well it is working.

Since installing XP on this system, I have had ZERO... let me emphasize this... ZERO crashes!

Right now I have (oh my god) 22 Internet Explorer windows open, the machines personal web server is up (and 4 people are logged in), Outlook 2002 open, I'm burning a CD and I have Messenger, AIM, Norton Anti-Virus Corporate Edition 7.6, real player and a bunch of other programs running too. Any time now the fax line will ring and XP Fax will answer that too, all without any problems.

Needless to say, under Windows 98 or Windows 2000 this would be like a fantasy. So far, no matter how crazy I get with throwing devices or applications at this poor little 1GHz system, I can't do anything to crash it.

About a week ago a customer came in and tried to buy it from me. I told him that now that this A7V133 runs like a dream, I'll never give it up. (Okay, until I build myself a new toy).

Wow, I feel like I have found new love for an old board. Oh, I should also mention that I'm only using a 200MHz bus CPU and Corsair CAS2 PC133 RAM. So to everyone that says you need a multi-CPU system to make XP run fast and smooth, I can only say... Ha!

My boot time is 12 seconds to the login screen.
My post login boot time is 14 seconds (including the time to fully load the IIS, the Symantec Anti-Virus 7.6 C/E software) and all my chat, sound, video and winzip TSR's.

All desktop applications start and fully load within 2 seconds of clicking the Icon except Diablo II LOD, which takes about 4 seconds (which may be because of my no-cd hack, but I'm not sure). As a side note, I can be playing Diablo II while all of this other stuff is running too. Again, no problems.

Stephen Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

G

Hi Steph

Okay, so I never post to Tom's because I do support on those other 3 sites, but after the guys were talking about this one, I thought I had better finally register and post a reply, even though I suspect that I will be in fairly deep trouble after.

Russ came in on Monday at around 2pm and said that you were willing to sell your motherboard for $90.00, so I pulled it out and stuck in the A7V that was sitting under the paperwork on the far end of your desk. If you check the box, you'll find that it is empty. You are actually now running everything that you mentioned above on an A7V and not an A7V133.

Don't feel bad about that because he wanted your Yamaha CDRW drive too. Since the Quick Bench center ran out those also on Monday morning, I replaced yours with an Aopen CRW-1232 that was on the spare parts shelf in service area. You should have stock of the Yamaha drives today, but I thought I should tell you about it.

Can I expect to see you up here to slap me around later? Next time John wants to place an order for extra stock before a holiday, I guess you won't bitch will you?

On a personal note, thanks for the great Turkeys! The staff got a real kick out of the little Intel dolls holding onto the Socket 478 CPUs neatly stuffed inside with only the little helmets sticking out. Personally, I thought you should have left the feet sticking out, to prove that Intel actually does have their heads up an ass, but I digress.

Everyone was relieved to see that they were in Ziplock bags since we couldn’t imagine what internal turkey exposure could do to a CPU. The “Intel Inside” sticker was a nice touch too, although I’m not sure this is what Intel had in mind.

Terry wants to know what the bus speed of these turkey’s is and do they take RDRAM or is this just the best example of where the 845 chipset really belongs?

If I don’t see you today, I’ll see you at the company party Friday night.

Oh, take a day off will ya? Geez, stop working and go get a woman for crying out loud.

Tom

Tom Martin
Director, Hardware Engineering
Co-Op Laboratories
Hardware Research & Development Division
Brown Hill Research Center - Section #94
Bow, New Hampshire 03304

Chief System Design Technologist
Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'
39 South Main Street - R
Concord, New Hampshire 03301

Coming Soon, Free XP Professional Demos & Support at: www.getxp.info
XP Home Edition: Proof that a sucker truly is born (or sold something) every minute.

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Well, I'll kill you and Russ later. I guess this answers the original posters questions about Interrupt sharing though, it works just as great with the A7V as it does with the A7V133.

Stephen Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'