Windows 8 & Nvidia

Zeal514

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Ok, so after the pain of getting Windows 8 installed I went to install my Nvidia Driver from the website, after installing Java 7.

After I Download the correct Windows 8 64 Bit Driver, I reboot, The computer loads windows 8, then I get a black screen, instead of the lock screen. My VGA monitor is bouncing between Standby and On, and my HD monitor is just is bouncing between no signal and signal (Black Screen).

I went and reset Windows 8 with my USB Installer, Retried the Nvidia Install making sure I got the right file, and It did the same thing. (I also installed Java 7, its required to access Nvidia site)

When my VGA monitor is on, I can see the cursor, but thats it, I can move it around it won't go onto my HD monitor.

mynikon

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

Identical to what has just happened to me. After all these years and still we get all this crap from Microsoft and others. The great American Ripoff again. So insular they spend years ripping off their own citizen then they go worldwide and rip them off as well.

We literately spend hours and days sorting out this rubbish. It is about we had a class action against Microsoft for all this wastage of our time and resources.

Litigation would stop this. Any American lawyers want to take this on? The evidence of failure is everywhere. Even more so on Microsoft own sites inc dev and technet.

and I just read smorizio reply...with all the knowledge available no one it seems can write a warning to display when the update/ program/ driver should be able to easily check the bios prior to when the offending software / driver wants to update itself. It pants!!

This whole concept of selling a product that when the user installs he / she has to spend days on the internet looking for the 'correct' advice to resolve the issue. With untold re installation in between.?

Like buying a new car. What you do if you find that when you put in your first load of petrol. The engine seizes and you spend days getting the vehicle roadworthy again. I wonder how long the car manufacture would stay in business if this happened as frequently as all this Window OS nonsense we have to endure?.

And yes I installed Gem many times, and yes I use Linux and yes I have a pretty good knowledge of computer life. But that is what makes it even more frustrating. As we all know it is crap service with a sloppy product, again!!

Zeal514

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
lol I hear ya.

I 4got to reply with the answer. Just run windows update, don't install any drivers, Windows will automatically download the right drivers for you, after that, for any Driver that was not installed I just set up a Restore point and installed and was always able to restore back. Windows 8 is good, but it really is dumbed down, you really can't think to much really simple. Awesome OS, 1nce you start to see how it works.