GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB

|||

RAM - Patriot i5 Viper II 4GB PC12800 DDR3 1600

|||

HD - WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA HD 7200/64MB/SATA-6G

====================================

want to add later on additional 6870 + full water cooling

\\\\\\\\

What would be the most beneficial cooler mount for the gcards after I get the second one.
Also

Does anyone know how well this ram would be for overclocking?

Aside from the fact that I'd order different parts...

That RAM will be fine for overclocking because your processor has an unlocked multiplier. You can try tightening the timings beyond spec or especially reducing latencies if you up it to 1.65V and 1333Mhz.

powerpie5000

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
That PSU is a bit overkill (even for a dual GPU setup with an overclocked CPU)... Plus the efficiency will be quite low if only half of it's potential output is being used. A good 750-800W PSU from Antec, Corsair or Silverstone would be a good choice, you can get away with using a cheaper motherboard too. If you still want the 890FX chipset with crossfire support then maybe consider the ASRock 890FX Deluxe3 or the ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3... Both support Crossfire, native USB 3.0 and SATA 6gps.... Even the Biostar TA890FXE may be worth a look as it seems great value for money :)

The money you save on the PSU and motherboard could go towards a better GPU such as a Radeon 6950/6970 or a Geforce GTX 560/570 :)

powerpie5000

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011

I wouldn't say it's much cheaper (for an 8x/8x crossfire GX board)... Why settle for 8x/8x config when you can get the full fat 16x/16x for a few quid (or bucks) more :). I'm sure the latest GPU's are getting close to saturating the lower 8x bandwidth by now (like the upcoming Radeon 6990 maybe?)... With older or budget/mainstream GPU's there won't be any noticeable difference between 8x/8x and 16x/16x.

Also if you get a very cheap GX board, then chances are it could end up with a 16x/4x config... Something you want to avoid.

He already bought the parts...so it's hard to recommend anything...

Don't worry about the graphics card coolers though--the stock ones will be fine as I doubt you'll do any serious overclocking--that would require more research than you probably want to do.

In the future, if you want suggestions, ask for them before making all your purchases though.

Because the performance difference is 1-2% at best and not worth the xtra money. P55 and P67 only run 8x/8x too and you don't hear anyone saying don't buy it because it doesn't have enough bandwidth now do you??

It's much more important to have a fast cpu than to have 16x/16x.

powerpie5000

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011

The performance difference is a bit more than just 1-2% when running a pair of high-end GPU's in 8x/8x using AMD and older Intel chipsets... The higher the resolution & detail, the wider the gap gets between 8x/8x and 16x/16x performance (especially now with games supporting extreme resolutions and multiple monitors).

X58 owners.

Intel P55/67 boards are a bit better than the rest at running Crossfire/SLI in 8x/8x as all PCI-E lanes are located on the CPU die (reducing CPU-device latency).

Can't argue with that if you have a Lynnfield/Sandy Bridge setup ;)

When it comes to gaming, there will always be people spouting "a faster GPU is more important" or "a faster CPU is more important"... Those people run into bottlenecks. I personally try to get evenly matched parts such as a Core i5 2500K/Phenom II 975 paired with an Nvidia GTX 570/Radeon 6950. What's the point when people use an AMD Athlon x2 with a GTX 580 or maybe a Core i7 980X with a Radeon 5750 for gaming :sarcastic:

I can't argue with you that balance is important--but an i5-2500K can handle a LOT more than a single GTX 570. Although I guess I'd go with the single card until it stopped owning most things on max settings. As far as dual 16x lanes--that's one reason my build's X58. The other reason is Micro Center.

No it's not, see benchmarks. I'm talking about normal resolutions under 2560.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pcie-geforce-gtx-480-x16-x8-x4,2696-16.html

A faster cpu is waaay more important when running 2 high end video cards than having 16lanes.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pcie-geforce-gtx-480-x16-x8-x4,2696-17.html

While we did see a fairly large difference between x8 and x16 slots when a single card was used, adding a second card shifted our limit to CPU performance. That is to say, for most of today’s tests, a faster CPU would be far more important than dual x16 slots in achieving the ultimate SLI performance.

As for the rest of what your rambling about, I have no idea. :sleep: