el_nadien

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I have the following system. It should be more then enough to play counter strike: source as smooth as it can get. BUT I LAG. i can't join a map with more then 10 people because i get this 5 seconds lag spikes. fps stay below 30 all the time, usually they stay below 15 fps. i have tried reducing the amount of ram memory in use but nothing. I also have an ATI Radeon 3100 graphics card. version: 8.634.1.0 with 1918 MB. only 256MB are dedicated the rest is shared. i tried to increase the dedicated amount by entering the BIOS and doing it manually, but i couldn't find the option to do it. I called Toshiba to ask them and they told me the system is suppose to do it automatically, but it doesn't. It stays the same when i open Counter Strike: source. I bought this laptop foolishly thinking it would give me a smooth CS:S gaming experience and after a year, it has not. I don't understand, i go beyond the system requirements. WTF!!!!

PS: i have a DirectX version 11. CS:S only requires DirectX Version 7

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SWENIO_18-PC
System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
System Model Satellite M505D
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-74, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V1.70, 12/25/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name swenio_18-PC\swenio_18
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.75 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.29 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.49 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.63 GB
Page File Space 3.75 GB

Err..integrated solutions aren't typically supposed to be for gaming. Also if it's lagging every 5 seconds that's not a frame-rate issue; if you have 10FPS you're getting 10 frames per second, not 1 every 5 seconds (0.2 FPS?).

Right click Steam -> Library -> Counter-Strike: Source -> Properties -> Advanced -> Launch Options -> Type "-dxlevel 81".

el_nadien

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

I did considered the Internet as being one the reasons for the lag, however, two of my friends came over and all of us were using the same wireless internet connection to play. They both played with over 100 fps i had the usual bellow 15. I have an 8 MB internet connection according to Speedtest.net.

el_nadien

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

I just gave you the fps that Counter strike: Source gives me when i join a map.