Sign in with
Your question

Is this a sign of a dead CPU?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 9, 2011 3:27:57 PM

First off I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to read my problem and help me solve this issue. I have a computer that was given to me from a friend and he asked I try to see what was wrong with it. Here is the what it does.

I will hit the power on button and the fans and everything will start up and keep working but I will not hear a beep and there is no video output on the monitor, nothing loads, no beeps just fans keep turning with a blank screen.

I am 100% sure it is NOT the PSU as I have tested other PSUs on this motherboard and with the same result. The motherboard is an Asus a8m2n-la. I have also made sure it wasnt the sticks of memory because I tried it with only 1 stick and same result.

I then figured it was the MoBo so I ordered the exact same one and I am still having the same result once the power is turned on. My only culprit left is the CPU, is there a way I can test this so I know for sure it is the CPU before I go and spend the money on it. Is this a common problems with dead CPUs? I do not have an AM2 cpu that I can test on this MoBo.

Any help is greatly appreciated. The computer is not custom build, it is a Compaq Presario SR2173WM

Thank you.

More about : sign dead cpu

a c 119 à CPUs
May 9, 2011 4:08:31 PM

to test for a dead cpu. turn on the monitor and wait for no signal.
time it to see how long it takes to go from no signal to standby.
now turn on the monitor wait for no signal then as soon as you see it turn the pc on.
if the monitor goes into standby as soon as you hit the power button the cpu is dead.
if the monitor takes its normal amount of time then the cpu is fine and the problem lies elsewhere.
m
l
May 9, 2011 4:52:14 PM

JoshC03 said:
First off I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to read my problem and help me solve this issue. I have a computer that was given to me from a friend and he asked I try to see what was wrong with it. Here is the what it does.

I will hit the power on button and the fans and everything will start up and keep working but I will not hear a beep and there is no video output on the monitor, nothing loads, no beeps just fans keep turning with a blank screen.

I am 100% sure it is NOT the PSU as I have tested other PSUs on this motherboard and with the same result. The motherboard is an Asus a8m2n-la. I have also made sure it wasnt the sticks of memory because I tried it with only 1 stick and same result.

I then figured it was the MoBo so I ordered the exact same one and I am still having the same result once the power is turned on. My only culprit left is the CPU, is there a way I can test this so I know for sure it is the CPU before I go and spend the money on it. Is this a common problems with dead CPUs? I do not have an AM2 cpu that I can test on this MoBo.

Any help is greatly appreciated. The computer is not custom build, it is a Compaq Presario SR2173WM

Thank you.

Usually If your CPU is malfunctioning it should make around 5 short beeps! Did you try removing your ram sticks or reseating them to see if something is loose or malfunctioning(Use Them 1 by 1)? Next Step would be to replace the CPU!

I wonder with the New APU's From AMD if it helps detect if the CPU is Bad or mainboard or Ram with the Fusioned AMD GPU?
m
l
Related resources
May 9, 2011 5:06:08 PM

Yeah I tried using each stick of ram for the 1 ram in the MoBo, still same result. I'm guessing it's the CPU.
m
l
May 9, 2011 5:37:28 PM

Are you using a video card, or onboard video?
m
l
May 9, 2011 5:45:57 PM

oboard, but there is no beep at all. I have tried 2 different mobo. but same model and same result. should i try an external graphics card?
m
l
May 9, 2011 5:48:11 PM

JoshC03 said:
oboard, but there is no beep at all. I have tried 2 different mobo. but same model and same result. should i try an external graphics card?

Definitely, because my motherboard doesn't have a "beep" function hehe.
m
l
a c 119 à CPUs
May 9, 2011 8:28:18 PM

seriously dude you havent done what i suggested? it is the standard test to see if the cpu is dead...

it will either jump into standby and the cpu is dead. or it wont in which case the problem lies elsewhere. if the monitor gets a null signal from a pc it will jump into standby straight away. a pc can only issue a null signal if the cpu is dead.

ps all motherboards support the beep functions. its just not all mother boards have an on board speaker, all have the pins for 1.

m
l
!