Sign in with
Your question

Asus P8P67+ Raptor mirror & SSD OS help needed

Last response: in Motherboards
January 12, 2012 1:42:23 AM

I cant figure how to properly configure my Asus P8P67 Evo HDD mirror raid & SSD.
I have:
256gb SSD (Operating System)
2X 600gb Raptors (for storage/mirror)

P8P67 EVo
"Intel® P67(B3) chipset :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Marvell® PCIe 9120 controller : *2
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue"

My issue is that in the Bios I can add all three on the intel chipset (fastest) and have to choose between "RAID" and "AHCI". I know SSDs need to be on AHCI but if I choose this then my raid disolves.

If I pick "RAID" I dont know that the SSD gets the beneifts of being in "AHCI".
So, is "RAID" in the sata config the right choice or should I put my mirror on the marvel controllers & the 256GB SSD OS on the Intel?
I wanted to keep everything a simple/fast as possible and thats why I have been using all 3 drives on the SATA 3 Intel ports.....but now my SSD is acting up and I think it could be that its not set to the aforementioned "AHCI" mode in bios as I wanted to have my mirror too.

How should I set this up?
a b V Motherboard
January 12, 2012 4:06:04 AM

You want to setup a RAID on 2 2 600gig drives. The SSD shouldn't be in the RAID. Setup backups for it, only RAID like drives.

Second, there should be several ports that allow non-RAID use (maybe 2 white ones? just a guess). Remember, you STILL have to configure the RAID, not just plug-and-play. Do daily backups to your array (RAID 1 or better) and you will be set.

Let us know more from what I posted. You don't have to like it, but explain why you don't and what won't work about it.
January 12, 2012 4:22:56 AM

puttsy said:
You want to setup a RAID on 2 2 600gig drives. The SSD shouldn't be in the RAID. Setup backups for it, only RAID like drives.

Second, there should be several ports that allow non-RAID use (maybe 2 white ones? just a guess). Remember, you STILL have to configure the RAID, not just plug-and-play. Do daily backups to your array (RAID 1 or better) and you will be set.

Let us know more from what I posted. You don't have to like it, but explain why you don't and what won't work about it.

Well thnx Puttsy butI guess im not good at clarifying my issue.

I know the 3 drives dont get raided together.....
2x raptor drives get mirrored and the ssd is by itself as an Operating System drive.

So unfortunately what you posted is just general knowledge :D 

What I dont get is the sata port config on my motherboard:
The Intel ports are the fastest (vs. the Marvel ones) and I would like all 3 drives on them but my BIOS sata setting options are "RAID" or "ACHI". I have to pick one or the other. If I pick "AHCI" then my mirror (2x raptor) disappears...which means I need to put them on the Marvel controller :(  If I instead pick "RAID" then I can have the SSD as OS drive and Raptors setup in mirror BUT I dont know that the SSD now gets "AHCI" applied to it too....all the setting says in the sata configuration tab is "RAID." It would be nice if it said, "Hey, Im your Intel sata ports, pick RAID and all drives not raided under this setting also get AHCI setting applied when plugged into me."

SO, I dont want to leave it at "RAID" and hurt my new SSD over time unless the "RAID" setting on this mobo also applie a AHCI setting to non raid drives on the same ports.
If it would hurt the drive then I guess I move my 2X Raptors to the Marvel ports and raid there :??: 

I just want a optimum config.
SSD on sata III
and Raptors mirrored (on fastest ports possible...Intel vs Marvel).
Related resources
January 12, 2012 4:26:43 AM

If you put the SSD on teh SATA3 controller and the 2 600's on the SATA2 controller, or the other way around, you should be able to split them.

It sounds like you have them all on the SATA2 controller.
January 12, 2012 4:46:40 AM

corroded said:
If you put the SSD on teh SATA3 controller and the 2 600's on the SATA2 controller, or the other way around, you should be able to split them.

It sounds like you have them all on the SATA2 controller.

Thanx for the reply.....

I CAN totaly split them...thats not my issue. They are all on the INTEL controller which is both...see above posted P8P67 sata specs.
The Intel controller supports sata III (2 ports) and has sata II (4 ports) BUT I CAN ONLY PICK "RAID" OR "AHCI" and that applies to all of them (both sata II & sata III) I think. <----thats my question. Does it?

see generic pic (not my drives):

Again, those are not my drives. Just a pic for reference.

So if I put it on AHCI mode (for SSD) I think I have to move the mirrored Raptors to the Marvel controller (2 sata III ports) but thats slower sata III speeds and more importantly makes boot up time longer. AND.....why would the Intel chip apply this setting to all it ports (sata II & sata III)? Seems odd.

So if I can have all 3 on the INTEL chipset (sample Intel sata config pictured above) have it set to RAID the raptors on its sata II and the SSD on its sata III that would be optimal...BUT I can only pick one setting for all these ports.
January 12, 2012 5:05:13 AM

Marvel controller is seperate screen and if enabled slows boot times:
January 12, 2012 9:00:32 PM

any recommends....cant install till I figure this out. :( 
!