Sign in with
Your question

How to completely uninstall graphics drivers and install new ones

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 9, 2010 11:18:52 PM

hey guys so im finally upgrading my graphics card to an hd 6870. i have an nvidea bfg gt 210 graphics right now and im wondering what the best way of uninstalling the drivers are without using driver cleaner pro or any other tools like that because i heard that they mess up your registry. thanks in advance
December 9, 2010 11:34:07 PM

so theres no way to clean out the drivers without using any tools?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2010 11:37:39 PM

Yes, there is.
You can use uninstall programs within Windows but it usually leaves traces of the old drivers and they can be conflicting.
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2010 11:38:26 PM

Overall it is just a better idea to use Driver Sweeper: look around on the forums everybody says it is a great tool!
December 9, 2010 11:54:21 PM

have u heard anyone having system problems using it? im paranoid about my computer being damaged because i recently bought it.
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2010 12:21:41 AM

Plznote is right.

Guru3d's driversweeper is a great program for getting rid of those little files that hang around after you uninstall. It is incredibly easy to use too.

First of all, uninstall your drivers normally through your control panel add/remove. Right after that, run driversweeper, click nVidia/Analyze and it will probably find a few files still. Delete them and the program will probably ask you to reboot.

Choose yes, then run the AMD catalyst after rebooting. That's as clean as it's gonna get.
December 10, 2010 12:30:11 AM

would anything happen if i don't use driver sweeper in safe mode?
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2010 12:34:43 AM

I've never tried to use it in safemode (no need tbh), but I doubt it would be an issue. If you are using windows vista or windows 7 it might ask your for administrator rights, just click yes and go.
December 10, 2010 12:36:49 AM

alrite thanks for the replies guys
!