Can't find a solution for the RealTek "Sleep Mode" error

RyanxRAGE

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Mobo: Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 Rev 1.3

I just put together my new computer, and everything seems to be running smoothly. Except the LAN capabilities. I tried installing the Realtek driver a million times, and keep getting that (apparently common) "The RealTek Network Adapter/Controller was not found. If Deep Sleep Mode enabled Please Plug the Cable" error. Googling it led me to the same "solutions":

Reset CMOS, reconfigure BIOS, unplug computer for 10 minutes, dance, whole lot of crap.

No matter what I do, I can't get it to work. Networking Adapters doesn't even show up in the Device Manager. I even tried doing the Smart LAN thing, but when I hit enter, it just takes me to a screen saying Virtual Cable Test.

I sent a ticket to Gigabyte, but thought I'd post here and see if anyone can figure it out.

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Go into the BIOS and see if there is an "Enable On-Board LAN" setting and see what happens. Next, are the NIC lights on? If it's connected to a hub/switch/router and the board has power, the lights should at least blink. Now, try and find the drivers disk/support for the board and see if you can find one for Network. I believe the Z68 chipset has built-in/integrated network so you may not need a hassle with Realtek (ick) at all.

Also look through the BIOS to see if there are any "Enable Onboard Audio" settings or the like and see if those help the problem.

wlolli3342

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I have a re-certified ACER Aspire AX1430G-UW30P, aka X1430. Came with W7Hm Prem pre-installed with all the usual McAfee, Netflix, etc trash onboard.

Since this system is for a client and I wanted a vanilla install, I installed W7Pro SP1 OEM, and then downloaded and ran all ACER driver installs for this model, as obtained from the Acer support website.

Installint the Acer Realtek onboard Gbit NIC drivers yielded the message like the above, stating that the driver controller could not be found, check for the Deep Sleep, blah blah blah.

Acer tech support declined to assist since this unit was re-certified thru a 3rd party registration.

I am having to resort to a low-profile-bracket Gbit NIC from SIIG [SIIG CN-GP1021-S1 Single port Gigabit Ethernet PCIe adapter]. Although the TP-Link and StarTek also work fine.

I also used PCIe Gbit NIC to connect to the internet and download all the latest drivers and service packs, hardware included, to the install to see f Acer had published a fix, via the W7 Update-mechanism-- result -- no go. Onboard MB Gbit NIC controller still not found, and still does not show up in the Device Manager.

I hope someone finds an answer for this, but in the meantime, I will install and use 3rd party PCIe-card-based NIC.
System runs fine beyond this problem. WLOLLI MCSE gunnewsdaily dot com

tx9271

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Has anyone found a real solution besides buying a third party NIC?? I've had internet up until about a week ago where it suddenly dissappered. I've tried all "solutions" as OP but still nothing. Is there anyone out there who can help us??

JomJom

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
This is quite the interesting problem. It seems that a mass of these nics stop working with windows. I've been all over the forums looking for a solution that works for me, none.

What I find the most interesting about all of this is that I'm running Dual boot OSX hackintosh + XP. IT WORKS PERFECTLY FINE WITH OSX! But the same error that everyone has when I'm running windows.

Edit: I have same mobo as op.