Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Random shutdowns

Last response: in Components
May 9, 2011 6:30:13 PM

Hey all i am having random shutdown issues that i have determined are not temp related so we can rule that out, i am pretty sure its a psu issue.
The shutdowns only happen under load and are usually random but can usually be reproduced using occt's power supply test for about 10 minutes, the reason i am unsure if it is the psu or not is because as far as i can tell theese shutdowns only happen under load while my i5 is overclocked above 4 which was determined by my ASUS motherboard thanks to auto tune to be an easily stable OC.

my system specs are :
i5 2500k cpu/Coolermaster v6 cpu cooler
asus p8p67 pro motherboard
g.skill sniper 8gb ddr3
msi gtx 570
mushkin joule 1000W psu
WD caviar black 1tb
Coolermaster haf x case

More about : random shutdowns

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
May 9, 2011 6:35:03 PM

You know its your psu.However the problem still remains the same.
You could get it check with a multimeter or if you dont know how to check the psu health you can also get it check by a professional.
I STRICTLY advice you not to use a faulty psu in your pc, as it could cause damage to many of your components.

You have a wonderful build.
a b ) Power supply
May 9, 2011 6:35:37 PM

I doubt mushkin joule is even a good brand at all.
Related resources
May 9, 2011 6:40:03 PM

well the psu got good reviews, they are a good memory brand and it has a 3 year warranty so i figured it would be a reliable psu. I will have to get a replacement as i do not have the box for it so i cannot get a refund.
a b ) Power supply
May 9, 2011 6:45:30 PM

cheeseborger said:
well the psu got good reviews, they are a good memory brand and it has a 3 year warranty so i figured it would be a reliable psu. I will have to get a replacement as i do not have the box for it so i cannot get a refund.

Where did you get the reviews?
I myself havent used Mushkin.
May 9, 2011 6:50:14 PM

well i did only pay $120 for it on sale it was reg 225 and i had only planned on getting a 750W PSU in the first place so i figured this one would do fine... guess i figured wrong.
May 9, 2011 7:01:58 PM

next time i will buy a better name brand
a b ) Power supply
May 9, 2011 7:04:29 PM

cheeseborger said:
next time i will buy a better name brand

You could test it first.
May 9, 2011 7:06:58 PM

its all good they are just guna ship me a new one for weds and ill ship the old one back to them free of charge once the new one arrives on weds. gotta love dealing with NCIX
May 11, 2011 7:59:41 PM

Best answer selected by cheeseborger.
!