Looking for GPU suggestions

spleeneater

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Hello all,

I am looking around at new Graphics cards, wanting to upgrade but ive been "out of the game" for so long i dont know whats what anymore. Would really appreciate any suggestions as to what i should look at first. As far as pricerange id like to stay under 100$ if possible. oh and yes this is for gaming as well as my DVD/video machine and tho im not sure if it matters but i have read it does effect it i run this machine dual monitor. currently run left monitor 2048x1152 and right one 1680x1050.

I am currently running:
Asus M3A78
Phenom 8450 Toliman 2.1GHz (triple core)
Geforce 9400 GT with 1gb
6gigs DDR2 Ram

as a sidenote - im not a fan of radeon. so im primarily looking at Geforce cards. ive had issues with radeon in the past and well. im just too set in my ways when it comes to geforce. Thanks in advance!

zepfan_75

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
the best suggestion I have for you is either a 460 768, 460 1gb, or a comparable and often cheaper 6850 and as Joel said it won't max it out, but later a SLI would be great. These prices are ranging from 150-199.99 for single and 300+ for SLI but most of us on TH don't even look at cards lower than what I've mentioned. If these are too expensive I would search Hardware-revolution for the Best video cards for the money segment which would help you quite a bit.

EDIT: Jack N sent you a link that is good check that out

spleeneater

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
thank you all for the suggestions. At current with the geforce i have i run 3 instances of WoW at the same time (im a multiboxer) with virtually no lag even when running all 3 clients. settings arent maxxed but are at medium/high on the main monitor (2048x1152) and i split 2 clients top to bottom on the right monitor with reduced settings.

I ended up going with this card after much deliberation and reading till my eyes hurt:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121397

I guess im confused by some of what was mentioned above. Ive been gaming with great performance on the older card i have. albeit some newer games crap out a little on me. like Battlefield bad company 2, fps hits the floor on occasion. why wouldnt it get better from any of the multitude of cards that ive seen on newegg alone? Is there something im just missing ?

again thank you all for your time and replies.