Bypassing a nonworking network card ?

elliemaypriest

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Hello,
Hello,
a few weeks ago a friend of mine replaced by nonworking network card with a new one. Trouble is, he failed to active it (?) I am not tech savvy, I just know, this network card doesn't work either... My question is, if I use a router with my dsl modem and a usb wifi adapter, would this bypass the the network card, to get me back on line? Thank you

Hi

Have you looked in 'Device Manager' to see if you have any working network cards

It is unusual for a modern PC to use a separate network card as the chip is usually integrated onto motherboard

Providing the network chipset has a Windows driver it is rare for anything else needing to be done when connecting to a Internet Broadband Router by a network cable.

If you have a software firewall (possibly part of internet security software) it can block internet access

regards

Mike Barnes

elliemaypriest

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Thank you Mike, When I called tech support for my phone company, right after I got my computer back (because I thought then the issue was my dsl modem) from it "being repaired". The tech had me look and the message I got was that it needed to be activated (?)
From what the tech explained, the chip/card needed to be activated or something before it was actually put in my computer, and that step was missed.
So, before laying out any more money, I'll check the firewall and anything else anyone can suggest :)