Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Intel q965/q963, what can i do about it?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 10, 2010 4:03:34 AM

so i bought a used Optiplex 745. it may be used but it was wiped clean before i got it. and its hell of a lot faster than my families old computer. it has

Windows XP professional

Core Duo 2.13 ghz

1 gb of DDR 2 ram

so i was like hell yea, twice better than the computer i had with a virus that i could only get it to go away for a week before it started back up again.

my real problem is when i bought the computer and tried to play oblivion. but it crashes before it even starts. my old computer could when we first got it, but 4 people using it took a toll on it. plus i tried to play a new online game and that makes the WHOLE computer crash. so now i'm frustrated. a whole 1/3 of the reason i bought this isn't working out. after some research i found out that the q965 and "higher" wont work with oblivion with out some 3rd party programs and other mods. but even still its frame rate is going to be slow no matter what. well that would just give me computer rage. so what are my options? i think i read that its integrated. so now i wonder if its not just a graphics card but actually part of the motherboard. tell me i can swap it out or put something in and bypass it or something. sorry its long. thanks in advance. and if you need more information just ask. plus instructions on how to find that info for you would help. i might know a little more than the average person but barely.

More about : intel q965 q963

December 10, 2010 5:37:56 AM

You'll never play Oblivion or anything but Chuzzle with on board graphics.

Wait for the HD 6670 to come out and pick one up. That should handle it.

If you've got a decent PSU, and you probably don't, you could go for an HD 6850.

You also don't have very much RAM.

Don't know what you're talking about with the "q965."
Score
December 10, 2010 5:53:56 AM

to be honest im not sure what it really means either. other another site some had the same problem, that how i found out that its because its a q965 it wont work, and some told them to how to find the info for them. just did the same thing to find the info. found if from doing

stat-> run-> (type in " dxdiag " in to the box that pops up).

another window called "DirectX Diagonstic Tool" pops up.

the guy on the other site said the display tab shows graphic cards specs, or something around those lines. here is what is says

Device

Name: Intel(R) Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family
Manufaturer: Intel Corporation
Chip Type: Intel(R) GMA 3000
DAC Type: Interal
Approx. Total Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Display Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Score
a c 575 U Graphics card
December 10, 2010 6:17:48 AM

Your motherboard has an Intel Q965 (ICH8) Express Chipset.

It also has an Integrated Graphics Processor (IGP), the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000, that is on the Q965 chipset.

There is a PCI Express x16 slot on the motherboard, although it's only PCI Express 1.0a.

What version of the Dell OptiPlex 745 do you have? The minitower, desktop, small form factor or ultra small form factor?

This is relevant because the case size will determine the physical size of any third party graphics card that can be recommended and will also give us an idea of what the power supply wattage is that you currently have.
Score
December 11, 2010 2:11:59 AM

Its the small form factor. NOT the ultra small. hell sounds like there is hope.
Score
a c 575 U Graphics card
December 11, 2010 4:28:31 AM

The Dell OptiPlex 745 Small Form Factor has a Power Supply Wattage of 275 Watts.

Because of the Small Form Factor case it is limited to a low-profile PCIe x16 graphics card.

You have a PCI Express 1.0a slot but PCIe 2.0 cards are generally backward compatible with PCIe 1.x motherboards. The PCIe 1.x bandwidth is only half that of PCIe 2.x.

Have a look at the following cards:
  • ASUS EAH5570/DI/1GD3(LP) Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card
  • HIS Silence H557HR1G Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card
  • SAPPHIRE 100293DP Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card w/ Eyefinity
  • SAPPHIRE 100293L Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card
    The Low Profile Bracket is included in all four choices above.

There are users successfully running a Radeon HD 5570 in a Dell Optiplex 745 small-form-factor with a Q6700 quad core and 8GB RAM using the original 275 Watt power supply as the card only draws 39 Watts maximum.

It should give you a substantial increase in graphics performance over the Intel IGP Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 that you are currently using.
    Score
    December 12, 2010 1:35:01 AM

Thanks for your help ko888. you seem to know what your talking about.
    Score
    !