Sign in with
Your question

Computer is freezing

Last response: in Systems
February 9, 2011 4:49:06 PM

Hello
My newly built computer sometimes freezes and needs to be restarted. It has happened 3 times in 2 weeks.

It has happened when:
The DVD drive starts to run an installation from a disc
Windows starts installing a driver

I know that my WD Caviar Blue HDD make a short (bzzz) scraping noise when the computer switches off, but apart from that i have found no other issues with the drive. It also passes the 2 tests in WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostics software.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?
Thanks

More about : computer freezing

a b B Homebuilt system
February 9, 2011 5:05:41 PM

The typical causes of freezing are:

1. RAM
2. GPU
3. Software conflicts

Please list all of your hardware.
February 9, 2011 5:20:03 PM

T_T said:
The typical causes of freezing are:

1. RAM
2. GPU
3. Software conflicts

Please list all of your hardware.

Okay. I have..
i3-540
4gb 1333mhz ddr3 ram (kingston)
integrated graphics
asus p7h55-m pro mobo
tenda wireless n pci card
corsair vx-450W
WD caviar blue 500gb 7200rpm hdd
lite-on dvd-rw drive
windows 7
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 9, 2011 10:11:39 PM

Thank you for listing your parts. Have you manually configured your RAM to the specs displayed on the packaging/sticker?

How many sticks of RAM do you have installed?

Download and install the following free software:

1. CPU-Z
2. HW Monitor
3. Prime95 - google it to find the correct version for you (x86 or x64)

Download and burn the disc image of MemTest86+ .

Run CPU-Z and check the SPD tab to ensure that your RAM is properly set and matches what you did in the BIOS.

Run HW Monitor to ensure that all your temps are within tolerance.

Run Prime95 to stress/torture test your CPU. Doing this test will put 100% load on your CPU and by doing so, will also cause your CPU temps to increase. Pay attention to the windows that pop-up in the P95 GUI, as this will provide you with vital information.

Run MT86+ from CD upon boot. This will test your RAM for errors. Do this test only when you will be away from your computer for some time, giving the test ample time to run a thorough check. If there are no immediate errors, allow this test to run for about eight "passes".

Come back with any observations/results.
February 9, 2011 10:58:00 PM

T_T said:
Thank you for listing your parts. Have you manually configured your RAM to the specs displayed on the packaging/sticker?

How many sticks of RAM do you have installed?

Download and install the following free software:

1. CPU-Z
2. HW Monitor
3. Prime95 - google it to find the correct version for you (x86 or x64)

Download and burn the disc image of MemTest86+ .

Run CPU-Z and check the SPD tab to ensure that your RAM is properly set and matches what you did in the BIOS.

Run HW Monitor to ensure that all your temps are within tolerance.

Run Prime95 to stress/torture test your CPU. Doing this test will put 100% load on your CPU and by doing so, will also cause your CPU temps to increase. Pay attention to the windows that pop-up in the P95 GUI, as this will provide you with vital information.

Run MT86+ from CD upon boot. This will test your RAM for errors. Do this test only when you will be away from your computer for some time, giving the test ample time to run a thorough check. If there are no immediate errors, allow this test to run for about eight "passes".

Come back with any observations/results.

Thanks for your reply. That will be a great help to me.

I actually left everything in the bios as default. This is my first build and i've only just realized that it is probably a good idea to set the memory timings to the manufacturer's specifications. I have this module: KVR1333D3N9/2G
Am I right on saying that the only numbers i should set are 9-9-9-24 respectively.
If it helps, i found a picture of cpu-z for my memory module, as i'm not currently on that computer.
http://yfrog.com/5sspdgp
http://yfrog.com/jkmemorynp

I have 2 sticks of 2GB each installing in slot 1 and slot 3.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 10, 2011 3:29:31 PM

The timings are represented as follows:
9-9-9-24 (CAS, tRCD, tRP, tRAS)
And I would set the command rate at 2T.
According to this datasheet , your DRAM voltage should be left at 1.5V and the frequency should be 1333.

As for your pictures, taking screenshots of CPU-Z running on your system is the only help, as this will show us what CPU-Z detects on YOUR system.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 10, 2011 3:43:51 PM

Check the event viewer to see if it's logging any errors. Look in the application and system logs for red X's.
February 18, 2011 1:59:06 PM

T_T said:
The timings are represented as follows:
9-9-9-24 (CAS, tRCD, tRP, tRAS)
And I would set the command rate at 2T.
According to this datasheet , your DRAM voltage should be left at 1.5V and the frequency should be 1333.

As for your pictures, taking screenshots of CPU-Z running on your system is the only help, as this will show us what CPU-Z detects on YOUR system.

I have done everything you suggested, and have found no errors or faults at all.

The strange thing is, twice yesterday the computer froze. Both times it happened when the following window came up, "searching for preconfigured drivers folders" It then gave an error that the driver could not be found, and then completely froze.

I have been researching on irq conflicts, and noticed that the wireless pci adapter is being shared with the lan port among other things (possibly the onboard graphics). My BIOS is set to ACHI right now, but even when I had it on IDE I was having the same problems.

Is there any setting in the BIOS that I could change to resolve the conflict?
And if it comes to it.. Will using a Wireless USB adapter instead solve the problem?

!