MSI Z68A-GD65 (Gen3) - won't boot with more than 8 GB memory

Idruzor

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I've built a new system using the following components:
■Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor, Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.4Ghz, 8MB, 95W, Boxed w/fan
■MSI Z68A-GD65 (Gen3), Socket-1155, ATX, Z68, DDR3, 2xPCIe(3.0)x16, CFX&SLI, SATA 6Gb/s, USB3.0, VGA, DVI, HDMI, EFI
■Corsair Vengeance™ DDR3 1600MHz 16GB CL9, Kit w/4x 4GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, 1.5V, Vengeance Heatspreader, 240 pin
I use a Corsair 650D case together with Corsair H60 cooler and Corsair SSD Force Series 3, 120GB.

My problem is that the newly built system won't boot with more than 8gb of rams (2 sticks). What I've tried so far:
■ Tested all 4 sticks individually in the first slot, they all work fine
■ Updated BIOS to latest version from 2011-12-14, didn't fix anything
■ Resetted CMOS
■ Tried toggling XMP in BIOS on/off, also tried setting the mhz to Auto/1600/1333 (they were automatically set as 1333)
When I try booting with more than 8GB the system quickly reboots before I see anyhing of the boot sequence on the monitor and it continues like this in a loop forever. The Dual BIOS LED which indicates primary and secondary BIOS failure does not blink or anything.

What's weird is that I can only get the system to boot with 8GB if I place the 2 sticks into DIMM1 and DIMM2, but the manual clearly states that DIMM1 and DIMM3 should be used according to the dual-channel population rule. I've tried DIMM1 and 3, 1+4, 2+4, 3+4 - but only 1+2 works. All 4 sticks also works if I insert them into DIMM1.

This is a new system and I haven't installed any OS yet. I don't have anything except hard drive and graphics card connected to the motherboard and I have tested both in another system where they work OK. I haven't overclocked anything, most BIOS settings are set to their default value or Auto. CPU temperature at idle is around 40 degrees celsius.

I've read some threads where people suggest increasing the voltage for the RAM, mine's currently set to Auto. The specifications states 1.5V, but I am a bit hesitant to change this since I don't want to mess anything up.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what I could try? Unfortunately I don't have any means of testing the memory or motherboard in another system but I'm starting to think the motherboard is somehow damaged.

Pavdog

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Funny, I had & have this exact same problem. Except mine only boots in DIMM1 & 3.

RMA'd the first board. Just got the replacement. Does the EXACT SAME thing.

I've tried upping the voltage, etc. Nothing seems to work.. :-\