Help buying a UPS

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Since I've lost 3 PSU units, and the reason could be due to dirty power, but no way for me to find out. OCZ has recommended that I get a True Sine (or Pure Sine) UPS.

Could anyone help me find UPS that are True/Pure Sine? I don't know about PSUs, but I'm more clueless when it comes to UPSs.

A look found this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102132

But I don't know what I need or how many watts I need or anything. I would like a unit that would automatically turn off my computer in case it becomes active when I'm not around.

My NEW PSU from OCZ will be an OCZ ModXStream 700w, my system, according to my caluations on a website says I need about 466w.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Get a good surge protector first. Sags in your power won't hurt anything, but quick short bursts can wreak havoc on a PSU.

Typically, it's good to inline a UPS with a surge protector because the electronics in a UPS will burn out after a few years of surges. Even if your UPS works fine, the surge protection will be shot.

Getting a cheaper $30-$50 surge protector will keep your UPS pristine much longer. It's much cheaper to change out a surge protector than a UPS.

Jantech

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
The UPS from Newegg should be just fine. It comes with a connector to connect it to your computer and software that should be able to shutdown you computer in-case of an extended power outage.
I hope this help

That unit is an excellent choice tricky, as i've told you before i have a Cyberpower 1500VA and it includes software that will turn off your rig safely if there's a power interruption.
You can choose the PowerPanel software to shut down your pc safely within 5 min. of an outage or choose an extended runtime.
My Cyberpower ups will run extended for 40 mins before it shutdowns.
Pretty good imo..
I like mine and it has performed flawlessly for close to 2yrs.
Apparently the guy's here at Tom's approve.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/apc-smt1500-cyberpower-cp1500pfclcd-tripp-lite-smart1500slt,2785.html