Computer freezing at POST screen, but only during a reboot

jabloom99

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I'm having a very strange issue with my PC:

Windows 7 64 bit
Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H
AMD-Phenom II x 4, 3.25 gHz

I built the machine about a year and a half ago, and it worked fine until this Monday, when I accidentally visited a website infested with a trojan or virus of some sort. I turned the machine off and booted into ubuntu to extract my data to an external HD that had not previously connected to the computer. With that done, I turned the computer back off, and rebooted from the Windows 7 install disc, deleted all the partitions and formatted both internal HDs, and reinstalled windows.

During this reinstallation was the first time the problem I'm having appeared. During the first automatic reboot during Windows installation, the computer reached the POST screen and froze. I waited several minutes, and tried each of the options available during POST, without success. So, I manually turned off the power by pressing the power button, and once the computer was all the way off, I turned it back on. At that point, it went right back into windows installation as if there had been no problem.

I've since had this problem several more times: during any kind of reboot, the computer crashes when it gets to the POST screen, but if I just turn the power all the way off or shut down, the computer boots up normally. I've had this problem even pressing the reset button on the computer, and resetting from within the BIOS.

I've tried:

Flashing the BIOS
Clearing the CMOS
Resetting the RAM
Resetting the Video Card
Ensuring all Disc drives and Hard drives are securely plugged in via SATA
Making sure all wires are properly connected to the Motherboard
Reinstalling windows
Making sure no USB devices (except the keyboard and mouse) are plugged in during reboot, making sure no discs in CD drives during reboot

All with no luck.

Because this is happening during POST, my feeling is that this is a motherboard/BIOS issue.

summermute

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Bizarre. Maybe try enabling boot logging?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Advanced-startup-options-including-safe-mode#

The file it generates may tell you something about a specific process that's failing to load.

jabloom99

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I tried bootlogging, but compared the results with a friend whose computer worked fine, and they looked the same. So that seems to be a dead-end also.

Still having the issue though - anytime I restart, the computer freezes after going through all the processes on the POST screen but before it says "Launching Operating System...". If I turn the computer all the way off, and then turn it back on, though, no problem.

Otherwise it works fine, and at the moment has been filed as a "live with."

Thanks,

James

icekirbyixi

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
I've had the same problem. I built my own system recently:

ASUS P8Z77-V KL MB
Nvidia GTX 670 GPU
Rosewill Xtreme PSU 750W
Intel i7 Quad-core CPU

Whenever I reboot from Windows 7 (64bit), it freezes at the Asus BIOS screen and doesn't let me access the BIOS setup or anything.

However, when I manually restart using the restart button or powering the system off completely, it boots up fine.